- advertisement -

Enlites -- so far so good

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Dd started using Enlites and so far I give them a thumbs up. The insertion process is faster.

My daughter never complained about how the old sensors felt being inserted nor complained of them being painful to wear. She wore them 24/7. So she says there is no difference for her. But, tn my experience there were a few times when the angled sensor wouldn't go in all the way when inserting with the serter and I always felt horrible when that would happen, because that obviously hurt and she would wince. It does not look like this will be an issue.

So the new sensor process is faster. And, to give credit where credit is due, it looks like the company finally go it right with the taping process. (Perhaps they've been reading this board! :D. They stay in place, too.

Just not having to design and cut up my own under and overtape system is a welcome change. (And there are less tiny pieces of D-garbage to throw away.)

Accuracy so far is very good. Still using the Revel, so cannot comment on LGS.

Have not done a side-by-side comparison with old sensor vs Enlites, maybe during the holiday break.

2. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Thank you for sharing your experience. Gregory's are supposed to arrive on Tuesday, so I am excited to read how other people are doing with the Enlites!

3. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we just played with one at Isaac's endo appt...I'd love to hear more about the insertion, it is very different from the sofsensor and dexcom. Does it take more time? The CDE seemed to think you had to hold down the needle for the count of five then release it, that seems like a long time for a young child. Also, do you put anything under the sensor, right now with the g4 Isaac needs a protective barrier from the adhesive, I wondered if the adhesive on this was better the sofsensor had terrible adhesive issues for him, too. And how is calibrating, easier than before? That was another trouble spot for us as it seemed we were never even enough to be calibrating at just the right moment without any BG fluctuation.

4. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I am encouraged to see a post like this. Abbey's 530g and enlites arrived and our pump start is Dec 27. We had to do an iPro prior to our insurance approval and Abbey didn't mind the sofsensor insertion, but the enlite looks a little easier to insert. Keep us updated!

5. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Awesome! DD is starting hers next Monday so I am hoping we have the same positive experience. We never used the sof-sensor so don't have anything to compare it to.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Hi,
    Five seconds is an eternity for a little one!
    Here is a link to a video that shows how to manually insert the Enlite. The woman who posted this says she has a young child with D, and definitely thought the 5-second wait before you release with the serter was too much for him to handle. It is a good video and the Enlite can be manually inserted. (We did that once.)

However, with a teen who can sit still (for way too long, actually:rolleyes:) the serter works well and is fast, even with the 5-second hold.

I don't put anything on underneath it. (I don't think it is recommended.) But if I needed to put a barrier down, I would just place it underneath where the transmitter tape would go, not the sensor needle. I hope you can get some good advice from someone who has experience with that.

Calibrating is the same, but I find the things more accurate so I am not telling it to change by 75 points, so far, so I haven't had "Cal Error" yet.

Also, since it is still with the same pump, the sensor ends at 3 days and need a restart.

ETA, the insertion is 90 degrees, so it is much easier. The tape you use is included. This probably speeded up the process by two minutes (less stuff to gather, cut to size, tape elaborately, throw away all the little pieces, and then put everything back.) I don't need the extra tape, scissors or mastisol and Q-tips, for instance.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I hope they get these out to everyone who wants them quickly! I've read that so many people won't wear the sof-sensors and these should really help.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

thank you for your review. I am going to check out that video. We have had such good luck with the Dexcom that I don't want to change things, however he is not happy about having a pump on him and the receiver. Which I completely understand. So having it all in one with an autoshutoff for low BG with the new pump is very tempting.
    Thanks again and I hope you keep having good experiences with this switch. :)

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We have been using them for a bit now and love them. Its even better with the 530g more accurate on the readings and faster to pick up.

We were told the 5-10 sec hold is due to the fact the tape is pressure sensitive and holds better when you hold it for a bit.

10. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the update. My son as training Jan. 10th. I am hoping the new sensors work better.