- advertisement -

Enlite sertor malfunction again!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by suej, Jun 28, 2014.

1. suej

suej Approved members

Please advise, am feeling desperate. DS using Enlites for a year now with mostly reasonable accuracy and some very good sensors when it can stretch to 7 or 8 days (yes I still have dexcom envy but not available here). 6 months ago we had the first sertor not release the sensor and pull it away. Since then it has been a regular problem, the last sertor lasted 3 insertions. I had an expired sensor so I tried it on myself and the sertor would also not release it, so it is not my son's technique. If it does not release immediately I take over and press the green button again firmly and try to anchor sensor, sometimes successfully, but sometimes hurting him. Sensor insertion has become fraught. I would value guidance and any experience with similar problems? We do use ice for a few minutes before but I am careful to dry the site thoroughly.Thank you

2. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

Maybe you need to replace the sertor or do the insertion instead of your son? I am not sure how old he is. I had a few issues when we started the Enlite, but have been fortunate lately to not have any issues after allowing about five seconds for the adhesive to stick. My son is nine and could probably do site and sensor changes, but I personally prefer to keep this responsibility and not have to worry about these. He does blood checks on his own. Each family deals with it differently. I hope you are able to figure what is going on.

3. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you for your reply, my son is 12 years old, and needs to be able to have the control of pushing the button, under close supervision from me. If it does not release, I do immediately take over. It just seems strange in that he has done over 50 sensors. We had no problems at all for the first 3 months then unexpectedly the sertor pulled out the sensor. We then were fine for the next 4 months, but in the last few months the sertor has started not releasing the sensor after 3-4 insertions. It starts off fine. One does wonder what one is doing wrong but we are not doing anything different to what we were doing. We were advised to wait 10secs before releasing which is what we do. Could there be a bad batch of sertors, is it bad luck , or is it just us? Medtronic sending another sertor (about the 4th this year).

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

It has always been the serter with us. They (Medtronic) are quite happy to replace it. Perhaps it has a very strong/finicky spring or something inside?.... The replaced servers have always worked well for at least two or three months - and the first one worked well for a year or more. We also had problems with them not actually inserting properly - would pierce the skin - but not enough to "set" the probe. Very frustrating. A new serter fixed that one too. Hope you have more success with the new serter. It is a great system when it is working properly.

5. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you for your experience. My latest strategy is a pair of forceps. As soon as it is clear the sertor won't release cleanly I carefully slide the forceps under the sertor and stabilise the sensor then slowly remove sertor. Lucky for the last 3 sensors and we are developing a bit more confidence again but really feel should be better designed. Medtronic happy to keep replacing sertors ( I am not happy to use son as pincushion) but also seem baffled why I am struggling so feel a bit like a dumb blonde. (Am blonde, tho' greying rapidly):)

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Try and get them to send two or three inserters. Make sure you throw away the bad ones. I push down very firmly but slowly on the button, hold a sec and then release. After waiting the five minutes I carefully pull away. I find if I go slowly, firmly and smoothly I have the best luck. Good luck.

7. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you, going a bit better now and I always keep forceps at hand as a back up.