advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enlite sensor in US?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, May 20, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Any idea when the Enlite sensor will be in the US? I have 9 sensors left and wonder if I should wait to reorder. I get about 6 or 7 days per sensor.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

bwah ha ha ha ha !!! :D :p

ReOrder!

Seriously though, they are held up with the FDA. I don't see how they could come out for many many months. I wouldn't even put money on it coming out this year. I so so so hope I am totally wrong.

3. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I believe it's going to be several years because now MM has to establish a new program in a new pump and get that new pump approved that allows for a 6 day sensor. Strange isn't it?

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

dislike
    dislike

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That was what I was thinking too. Boo

I was just hoping. Stinks......

If they try to get the old one to be approved for 6 days first , I will flip!!
    Minimed needs to get this harpoon one off the market and get this new smaller one here now! I guess this is FDA slow down not theirs though. FDA if you are reading this, GET THIS THROUGH!!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I just ordered three boxes. Which will last us over half a year, if that tells you anything.

I think at the very earliest we'll see them in a year, and I predict two years. I've heard they're going to wait and release them with the new pump, as opposed to upgrading the Revel software.

7. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I spoke with our rep a few days ago (about getting a Revel), and even his very optimistic estimate was a few months.

I hope Karla is wrong about MM waiting to release them with a new pump. It would be nice to not have the restart after 3 days, but I'll be seriously pissed if MM doesn't release the Enlite the moment the FDA allows them too.

I'd reorder.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I hope Karla is wrong also - we will need our Navigator replaced eventually and the Enlite looks really promising. If nothing else - the market needs some competition and some upgrading happening - seems like everything is on standby mode....

9. hawkeyegirl

I hope I'm wrong too. But I'm 100% sure that the FDA will not allow them to release the new sensor in the U.S. for use with the current pumps. They'll either have to do a software upgrade for the Revel, allowing 6 day sensor wear or release them with the next gen pump. It makes no sense to me that the FDA will not allow Medtronic to send a notice out to current pump users telling them the "trick" to extend sensor life beyond three days (which every current user already knows anyway :rolleyes:), but Medtronic says the FDA has said that is a no go.

10. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Why not just approve it for 3 day wear?

Have you ever seen MM actually do a software upgrade to add a new feature like this? We've gotten replacement pumps with newer software versions, but I don't think I ever noticed a new feature. I assume it was just a minor bug fix or something (though I never noticed a bug).

Where would we be without the wondrous minds at the FDA ...

11. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Hey, dumb question, you haven't heard anything new about when such a new pump might be announced, or what new features it might have, have you?

12. hawkeyegirl

I have no freaking clue. I suspect that Medtronic is not being entirely honest about the whole situation, but all we have to go on is what they're saying. I'll be tuning in to their shareholder meeting in August, as we usually get some clue about timing of their product pipeline then. (Not that it's usually accurate, but it will be very telling how they've revised it. Last year they were predicting the Enlite and the next generation pump to be out around...now.)

I don't think Medtronic has ever done a software upgrade. I know Cozmo did at least once. On the one hand, the software upgrade has to be appealing to Medtronic, as it would allow them to stretch the Paradigm series even farther out into the future, but on the other had, they're going to have to redesign the pump SOMETIME. Right? Right?!

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The FDA goes through periods of being more and less lenient. We could see different leadership at the FDA and then it could go through faster. Maybe? :eek:

14. hawkeyegirl

MM is being extraordinarily tight-lipped about the next-gen pump. All I've heard is that it will have a full-color screen and an "ipod-like" user interface.

Last I heard it is probably 1.5 to 2 years away.

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

At FFL last year there was a pump company showing off its product and it reminds me of an Ipod. William went nuts for it just for the looks. I think it would have a lot of popularity among kids just for that (not saying that is what is most important however).