- advertisement -

Endoscopy sheduled~NERVOUS!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Mar 17, 2013.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

DS's endoscopy to help dx celiac is sched. for Wed. morning...looking for suggestions/advice for before-during-after (regarding blood sugar,etc.) I am very nervous :eek:

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I think it's best to have a higher fat snack, such as Hagen Dazs ice cream, later the evening before. Also, I always reduced basals a little during the night before the procedure because I am not sure what you do if you encounter a low, given that the patient is supposed to fast.

So, if you normally send him to bed around 150 mg/dl, aim a bit higher, maybe 180 mg/dl and discourage any extra physical activity that could cause an overnight low.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Talk to your endo, when my daughter had hers done, they sent the anesthesiologist a plan to follow, and also reduced her basals because she couldn't eat breakfast prior to the procedure. In addition, insist that you are there and waiting for your child when they come back. We didn't, we were forgotten about and my daughter was still out of it. Until the nurse decided to check her BG with a lancet that was designed for a farmer with tough hands. Poor kid!

Overall, it is a really simple procedure. My daughters took about 30 minutes Honestly, it's harder on the parents than the kids.

Best of luck, and I hope you get some answers.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely talk to your endo. When Campbell had his endoscopy, the anesthesiologist wanted a written plan from the endo. I hope they scheduled you for the first surgery of the day to reduce the fasting time.

As the others said, you will probably reduce your basals that day or even the night before.

When Campbell had his, they told us he could have tabs in the night if necessary and clear fluids (including apple juice) up to 2 hours before the surgery.

Campbell's endoscopy took less than 20 minutes, and we were waiting in recovery when he came out. I tested him right before he went in and as soon as he came out of surgery. It was quick and easy.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I second the suggestion to talk to the endo. You'll want to reduce basal, and increase the threshhold at which you correct for highs; the question is by how much.
    They don't always have an anesthesiologist for an endoscopy; at my last one we had to specifically request one and it was a bit of a mess. You may or may not actually need one.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Ours was very easy. I tested before and she wore her CGM. If the alarm went off I was summoned to come help which was as she entered recovery. A little sooner than normal but with her pump it was easy and no big deal.

7. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Thank you all :cwds: And yes, they have requested written instructions from the endo, and an anesth. will be there :D I will call his endo tomorrow so I also know the plan ;) Thanks for the well wishes...will let ya know how it goes!

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

good luck with the surgery :). Ashleigh has had 2 surgeries done. One was an endoscopic procedure and the other was a spinal fusion surgery. The endoscopy only lasted a couple of minutes, the spinal fusion was 4 hours. For both surgeries I reduced Ashleigh's basal amount that night. I also made sure all the doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, ect who would be working with Ashleigh was aware that she was a type 1 diabetic. For both surgeries i tested her BS right before they took her back. For the endoscopy she kept her insulin pump on and I rechecked her when she was back in recovery. Since the surgery was so short (less than 10 minutes) there really was no change in her BS and her numbers remained fine the rest of the day. For the spinal fusion surgery the anesthesiologist was not comfortable with her pump, so she had IV insulin during the surgery and for about 24 hours following while she was in the PICU. Once out of the PICU i put her pump back on and took over her care for the remaining hospital stay.

9. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Our endo gave us instructions as to changing the basals for the day before and until the procedure. The most difficult thing was that she couldn't eat anything solid for a good 24 hours before the procedure. Lots of clear liquids. But she had a colonoscopy along with the endoscopy. If you're not doing both, maybe you won't have to do the clear liquid diet. DD was low at 3am the morning of the procedure. I gave her 1/4c apple juice with 2T of sugar in it and suspended her pump. That worked. Best of luck and prayers.

10. champ81

champ81 Approved members

Good Luck. Our daughter who is 6 had an endoscopy last year and I too was very nervous but it all went great. We were with her right up untill they performed the procedure we actually walked down next to her to the room they did the endoscopy in. We waited in the waiting room and as soon as she was done the doctor came and got us and we went right back there with her. We checked her blood sugar often untill she woke up.

The one thing I was most nervous about was how they would be putting her to sleep. but they used a drug called Versid(not sure the spelling) and it was awesome. It makes them feel relaxed kinda like they are drunk is how they describe it.

11. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

The hardest part for me was seeing her go under the anesthesia. I stayed in the room with her until she was asleep and then they had me leave. It was literally over in 20 minutes. She was a little groggy for a few hours afterwards and was playing as normal by the afternoon. They made sure we had the first appointment of the day so she only had to skip breakfast.

Good luck!