- advertisement -

endoscopy biopsy results...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Mar 26, 2013.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

DS's endoscopy biopsy came back saying NO CELIAC!!! :cwds:But showed inflammation of the stomach. Dr wants to put him on Prilosec. Just wanted to pass on the good news ;)

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Good news!
    Did they do any bloodwork to test for Celiac gene?

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

That is super great news!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's wonderful news :cwds:

5. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

hmm..I am not sure :confused: He had positive antibodies which prompted the endoscopy...does that have anything to do with the gene?? I am embarrased to say I dont know ...still learning :eek:

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The gene is a different test and is not very helpful because many (we were told by our doctor that the majority of people test positive) for the gene but do not have the antibody response. The antibody response is what matters.

Depending on how high the TTG is, damage from celiac is likely at some point (if over 100, highly likely) and there can be secondary health effects of continuing to eat gluten with elevated antibodies. I assume at the least, that the doctor will want you to repeat the biopsy each year so you know if the damage has occurred.

The stomach irritation / Prilosec recommendation sounds unrelated to the question of celiac.