- advertisement -

Endo refusing requested labs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 5kids4me, Mar 2, 2011.

1. skimom

skimom Approved members

One thing I have learned is that I need to be absolutely clear on everything a doctor says.If I get an answer from my doctor ( or kids doctor) that I don't like, don't agree with or don't understand, I ASK FOR CLARIFICATION and do not leave until I am satisfied. At the risk of sounding harsh, if you didn't like that your doctor said no, why didn't you ask her WHY?? YOu are the consumer - she has a responsibility to be sure you understand the care and treatment of your child and the rationale behind it. If you are not satisfied, you need to ask the questions otherwise you are also responsible for this situation.You have already indicated you don't like this doctor so be careful not to look for reasons to like her even less.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We have some difficulty too with communication with our endo because of distance. We don't use email, but for inquiries like this there often is not the automatic opportunity to ask why, you have to make a point to have someone call you or bring it up at the next visit. That does, of course, make it even more important to work to avoid misunderstanding, but it makes immediate questioning harder.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Our endo runs all of those tests you listed on Jayden every year...and I've never even asked for them. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to ask for the tests you want.

4. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Our endo runs these test yearly...I don't think its unreasonable to ask for them to be ran...good luck in the search for a new one!!

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Testing once at dx is not sufficient for secondary autoimmune conditions such as thyroid and celiac, which may have onset at any time before or after T1.

Our doctor (pediatrician, who also has T1) performs a complete set of labs every year. I believe this is important because in a person with T1, many functions of the body could be adversely affected. Running a complete CBC, lipids, kidney function, liver function, celiac and thyroid antibodies, etc., is the least invasive way to identify abnormalities early on. Lipids are important because high glucose is a compounding factor in early progression of cardiovascular disease in T1 children. If cholesterol was excessively high, you would want to look into dietary changes and/or other options.

The only reason I could think of why an endo would not want to run a complete panel is to stay within financial bounds stipulated in his or her HMO contract.

6. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I agree with you.

This was via email and I did reply to her asking for an explanation. She was rude and told me NO type 1 children have these tests yearly. Her arrogance is something I can no longer put up with.

I cancelled my son's appointment and have requested his medical records. Now, I will see what hoops we have to jump through to get into a different endocrinologist.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Seriously? On record? That's nuts.
    Good luck finding a new endo that's not too far!

8. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Those tests are standard with our endo, we get those (liver, kidney, thyroid, celiac, cholesterol, a1c and also the eye tests) done yearly. And sure enough on the 1st yearly blood panel, the liver test came back slightly elevated. To make a long story short they found a huge liver tumor, so in a very weird way diabetes saved Jenny's live.

I would look for another endo, especially since you have other issues with her. What I don't get is that there are obviously no guidelines out there on what should be tested for kids with diabetes, and if there are they are not being followed. We have been so far to 2 different hospitals here in NYC to see the endos, both top hospitals, and they both do all of those tests.

9. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I am so glad they found the tumor!

10. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

We see and opthamologist

Yes, he should.

11. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I would take research about the test you want there is no reason to not have them done. My daughters vitaimin d has gone low twice already and she gets so sick and weak when it is low.