- advertisement -

Endo refuses to test for Vit. D deficiency, WWYD?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by bisous, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

Would you try to bring literature that illustrates the widespread Vit D. deficiency recently reported?

OR

Assume vit. D deficiency and just give supplements based on the fact that he has Type 1?

TIA,

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I asked the nurse at the endos about this and she too was clueless.

I started giving both older kids vit d capsules every other day. They are super small and my 5 year old can swallow them. I do every other day since they are fat soluable and I don't want it building up in them.

I'm wondering how the studies are concluding that D kids are deficient--NONE of my kids have ever been tested nor do they routinely screen for it. I am personally assuming that all kids are deficient, just the d kids get screened.

Please feel free to correct me, I haven't done much research.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

In Stevens latest labs the endo is having his Vitamin D levels tested. Hes had d for 5 years and this is the first time its been tested. Ive heard that many people may in fact be deficient in vitamin D and that we should all take a supplement and drink things with vitamin D fortified.

4. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

I have read where America is vitamin D deficient. My wife and I are in a 5 year Vitamin D deficiency program. She is a Registered Nurse and works in a related field. We get tested twice a year. Each test cost us $40 each.

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Could you ask your child's pediatrician to request the test?

6. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

My daughter's family practice doctor tested her and she was actually not deficient. I found this amazing considering she hates milk so she rarely has it.

I was also tested and found not deficient.

But I wonder if it could be a seasonal thing. We both happened to get tested in the summer.

7. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb's endo checks every year, he does not have a problem with it but he still takes a substitute.

8. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Matt was checked recently and was Vitamin D deficient. He takes a supplement once a week. I know this has recently been in the news and I don't know that it is limited to Type 1 diabetics. Interestingly, I read that the use of sunscreen might be contributing. :cwds:

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I would definitely push for the testing. I get tested annually and haven't been deficient, but I don't think OTC supplements are really sufficient if you are.

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I'd ask the ped for it, or just have it done myself. There are all kinds of ways you can order your own testing - many companies online do it.

Jayden's was extremely low when they tested it, and even on a 50000iU supplement once a week, she is still deficient. She is always outside, always in the sun, and nearly always not sunscreened (just has that skin that doesn't burn!). There is something going on with her ability to process the D...not sure what.

11. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I would repectfully tell the Endo I want my ds's vit-d tested. If he/she didn't add if to my ds's annual tests I would find a new endo. I feel the ped-endo is a vital part of our team and I shouldn't have to sell him/her on anything.

Good Luck.

Edited to add: I am sorry if my post came off snippy. I didn't intend to sound so harsh. I used to get intimidated at doctor's in general but since Adin's diagnosis I started to realise they are just people doing a job and are there to help/support us.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Umm, well my endo did test my DD with annual stuff when I requested.

I would just either go to the PED if you want testing now, otherwise suppliment until the annual bloodwork and then insist on the testing then.

13. bisous

bisous Approved members

Thanks, guys. It IS annual bloodwork time and DS hates pokes. The ped is also not open to testing D (I asked awhile ago). I'm wondering if I can order a Vit. D test a la carte in addition to the other tests we're taking this week? We're Kaiser so maybe that explains it/makes it more complicated. I like both my ped. and my endo but they're not "up" on this research.

Anyone have a recommended source for good Vit. D links? I think I'm going to try ONE more time and we'll see...

14. bisous

bisous Approved members

Oh, and I'm also pushing for CGMS at this visit. My endo LOVES me, lol.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Go to your ped and ask for the test. Probably the easiest way out.

In any case, as part of the annual blood work regarding D issues (thyroid tests, celiac, cholesterol levels, etc) I don't see why they can't screen for vit D deficiency.

I think you have to be careful with certain vitamin supplements, vit. D being one of them. I may be wrong. Too much of it without knowing your actual needs, IMHO is not good.

Good luck.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ours is just rolled into the regular annual blood work. No big deal, can't see why he won't do it.

Abby's results came back that she is low in Vit. D, so we take a multivit in the am and a Vit D in the pm (nurse said they need to be broken up to work best).

Will your endo say why he won't do it?

17. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I would want him tested as well. A year ago I asked endo for testing. She thought it was a good idea. At ds's last appointment, she thought it was a good idea for him to take a vitamin D supplement. ;) She gave him a vitamin D handout. It has some links that I'll share. It'd be good if you took some information about how there are so many people who are deficient. I don't have that information at my fingertips.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

18. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

19. shekov

shekov Approved members

We all started taking D suppliments here after dd was tested and came back SO LOW. I think it's important enough for you to push it.

They have yummy gummy D vits at walmart now for little ones who won't swallow pills BTW

20. Toni

Toni Banned

We try to supplement with a vitamin that includes 800 units of Vita D, called Teen Advantage. I would just supplement.