- advertisement -

Endo recommendation for goal a1c

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I am curious what other ped endo / CDE are telling parents what the goal a1c is for a preteen / teenager. My son's a1c is less then 8 which is what our endo aims for but I think for a 12 year old aiming for 7 is better if there is not an issue of lows. I think looking at spikes and controlling if possible is vital to for good control The more I read about risks of complications and lowering it with better glycemic control, less then 7 is what we should shoot for.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ours doesn't push to much for any A1C - anything over 8 requires a monthly visit, and they cheer at 7's. We never ever had any problem being 7 or under until 15...

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think that each person has to look at what they are able to acheive on a personal basis. we are not all created equal nor o we all have the same resources for the tools that can help.

I actually don't even think a "goal" A1c has ever been discussed, her name getts to go into a monthly drawing if her A1c is in the sigle digits, so at or below 9.9 !

everytime we go in and do the height and weight, wash hands and do a finger poke and wait for the result and the Dr to come in. More than half the time she does not even say what the A1c is and goes staright into looking her over and looking at the pump download for any patterns, or extreme highs or lows. she just states that she has a great A1c and keep on keeping on, and I have to ask for the actual number. Most recently it went up to 7.5, and the lowest she has had was a 6.5, but that was one special summer!

I think that what the Dr goal is does not have to be the same as what a parent or childs personal goal is. If you beleive that you can safely attain a A1c of below 7 then do so.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

7.0 to 7.5. Of course lower, if we can do it without a lot of lows.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Under 7.5 for children/teens of all ages.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We were in about a month ago and his a1c was 7.6 (up from before). He said we were doing really great. He said the recommendation for his age (I can't remember whose recommendation, ADA or something) is 7.5 or under for his age. So he said we are doing fabulous. (although I felt like his praise was a little more than we deserved. lol) Not that 7.6 is awful, but it was higher than he's ever been since DX. We've had a hard time keeping up with his insulin increases...at camp last week they increased his basal from .75 to 0.9 or so, and we are still seeing lots of highs. :( (some are human error, though.) I'm waiting to see what school starting again (next week) will do. :eek:

If your endo says aim for 8, but you wish to aim for 7, by all means, do. There is a line between "perfect control" and "realistic control" but if 7 is doable for you (for some it wouldn't be), I think only good can come from it.

Hope this helps.

(PS I kind of like mmgirls's endo's approach, where the a1c isn't the be-all end-all number. We all know we shouldn't feel guilt over what the a1c comes in at, but we probably all do feel a little guilty when it's up from the past.)

7. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the insight and I agree with everything you say. I think YDWV and there will be good and bad days, weeks ect and there is the big picture to look at but not just numbers. This is not a sprint but a marathon. I think he does feel better running with a average blood sugar of 150 then 180. I think also if we are proactive it will hopefully set the tone for him to check as a teen and see the pros of a cgm .

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Interesting question actually. Simple answer is I have no clue, and that's a good thing. They have never even shared a target number with us, and I'm grateful for that. My son has fluctuated from 5.9 during honeymoon to 8ish after he broke his tibia and had surgery. Through both events he was praised for his efforts and assisted with his settings and encouraged to make goals.

Personally I have always encouraged him to try for maintaining at or around 7. It's what I feel is safe and achievable for his age and activity level. I think that will vary for each kid and for each family, and that number is something you must come to terms with. For some folks they can work and work and still show an 8 or higher, for others it seems easy. I have no idea why.

Sometimes I wonder what our endo sees on a daily basis because they always seem so thrilled with my son, even when he was slowly creeping up from 6 to 7 to 8. Luckily he's down below 7 now, but college is coming and I'm not sure what to expect.

Bottom line. I agree that the A1C is not the be-all/end-all. It's important but not the only important factor. Personally I like to see a number below 7, so long as it's not due to lots of lows.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'll agree with this, too. We have actually never been given a target number, nor have we really been praised or chastened for K's a1cs. The only reason I know the goal at K's clinic is 7.5 is because I overheard the endo mentioning it to a resident at our last visit, and I found it interesting.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Our Endocrinologist wants Ashleigh (14) below 7.5%. So far she's managed to always meet that goal.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

They see A1C's of 10, 12, 14, etc So, they are very happy with 8 and below during the teen years. The DCCT and EDIC trial follow up shows both the intensively and conventionally managed groups have an average A1C of 8.

And folks, teaching your child to care for themselves does not guarantee they won't wander sometimes as a teen or young adult. I think it may guarantee they won't wander for too long, however.