- advertisement -

Endo rant and a question (?)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Bear with me on this. I just need to rant to some people who may understand what I'm going through.

I went to the endo today for the first time in some time (I know, I know). She downloaded my pump, took a look at the numbers, and told me that I was doing great and not to change my basals at all. Good job, me!

Then, she started to tear me apart. She told me that I am doing a terrible job of taking care of myself because I haven't scheduled blood work in a long time. The problem with this being that my insurance won't do blood work prescribed by a general practioner. I need an endo to prescribe blood work in order to get it done for this purpose. She refused to give me blood work papers when I asked for them, because I hadn't seen her in some time. This is a catch-22. In the end, I ended up scheduling blood work for tomorrow. I'm going to take those results with me when I walk out of that clinic and never look back.

I accepted that I would just have to smile, nod, and bite the bullet, and I brought up how I wanted to try the Dexcom CGM. Medtronic's CGM tore up my skin, left some scarring, and was terribly inaccurate for me. She then told me that I should call Medtronic and see if they had a new CGM that they could give me (wait what?) and that they have all kinds of new things now that will stop all of my pain and scarring, etc. I argued that I wanted to try Dexcom if for nothing else but the accuracy issue(s). She said that she would let me have the Dex if I got a representative to come in and give her training and software. I sat there seething for a good twenty minutes.

I got chewed out for a bunch of other things, such as using my arms and legs for sites, etc.

Thus, I came to a conclusion. I am firing my endo.

My question for you all is this: if you were interviewing endos, what questions would you ask? I plan on calling some endos in my area and asking them questions before I make an appointment.

I'm taking my money to someone who is willing to work with me and treat me like a human being (i.e. with respect and patience).

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sorry that sounds awful. Are you comfortable seeing a PA? I kept meaning to PM you. My friend in Santa Barbara sees Lucy Ortega (805) 681-7820. She prescribed the dexcom on the first visit no questions asked for my friend. The practice also has doctors if you would rather that but maybe try her first and see how it goes.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You know what you want in an Endo. I will just tell you that I think you are making a great decision to find a new one. :cwds:

In trouble for using your arms and legs as sites? Ridiculous. :mad:

4. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We have been through 3 endos due to them wanting everything their way when they don't live our life. To get my last one our eye doctor called around to doctor friends who they would use and I asked Omni pod who in my area prescribes it most often, as getting an omni pod was our need. You need to change. Ask around and check with the local Dexcom rep.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The endo works for you. You don't work for the endo. You and the endo make an agreement to work together, not against each other. Your endo failed.

I think I would ask around on the boards (here and elsewhere) for input on different ones in your area. Call your insurance, see who they allow. Do research online. Then when you call, explain you want to become a new patient. Someone here suggested a PA, that might be worth exploring, many PA's actually have more time to give than a doctor.

I think you did the right thing in making the first step...dumping that doctor.

6. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Thank you all so much for your replies and support.

Meg, I called the PA, and I've set up an appointment. Thank you SO much for giving me her number. I think this might work out.

I also got my A1C tested today -- 7.4. Not the best, but I'll take it! Oh, and yes, I did get chewed out by my current endo AGAIN. :rolleyes:

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just be comfortable with the fact that you are much smarter than they are about diabetes and ignore their babbling. :cwds:

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep, you live it 24x7, they don't. You know how your body works and reacts. They only have an idea.

I hope all goes well with the PA.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When I was looking for an endo when I was 18, I called and asked the receptionist if the endocrinologist had patients who fit my demographic (medically- you know, did he have newly diagnosed adults with type 1, and also was he familiar with one other health issue of mine I felt was important), and if he took my insurance. I also asked if the doctor had a finger stick a1c thing, but I decided it didn't matter that he didn't.

If my endo retired and I was looking for a new one, I'd still ask questions along the lines of, "How many patients like me does this doctor have?" And if he has no patients with issue X, how willing is he to deal with it (I have some extremely unusual issues).
    But I wouldn't just ask about my medical issues, I'd want to know if the doctor saw lots of T1s on shots- I don't want an endo who thinks pumps are necessary for treating T1. If I had a pump, I would probably want to know if my doctor was familiar with it.
    And I would also ask about the doctor's general availability- I want a doctor who is available on short notice. The fact that my endo has had next day appointments when I'm sick and will take calls in the middle of the night has mattered for me. Also, the fact that my doctor takes time for people- well, it turns out he also is very willing to take 45 minutes to talk during a regular appointment. I love that about him.