- advertisement -

Endo Meeting today- Planning to ask about switch to pump...any suggestions.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anyelday, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

This afternoon is our first meeting with our Endo after Eliza's's diagnosis on Christmas Eve. We met with the CDE and Social worker last time. I am planning to ask him about switching to the pump but have been told that they require a certain number of months of compliance (8-9 months) before they will think about the switch. I have also been told it can take a while to get things moving with insurance so we should ask now if we are interested.

I am not sure if I will meet resistance or not this early after dx but would love any tips on having this conversation.

2. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

If you want, tell them that's what you want. We learned early on to tell what we wanted rather than ask. Worked very well for us, and I think it helped the Endo to see we were serious and willing to put the work in.

We told her at the 1st followup visit a month in and she agreed to discuss for him at the 6 month after dx (initially told a year). I was still in shock over the dx, so didn't fight it too much then. After I did more research and learned from here, we requested the Dexcom at 2 months out. After that I started emailing the CDE's to put us in the classes (we had to take 3) so we can get started on the pump. We pushed and pushed and they finally got us in the classes. We started pumping about 4 1/2 months after dx.

Do your research now as to what pump you'd want. We had the reps from Animas and OmniPod come to our home and show us the pumps and features. We were pretty much decided on the OmniPod but wanted to see the Ping in action. OmniPod did the work of contacting the insurance and getting us the pricing info before the dr even filled anything out. So that helped us, since we weren't sure if it would cover the OmniPod, or only the Ping, and insurance cost was a big factor.

We also watched Youtube videos on insertions and the pumps and read reviews from others.

Good luck at your visit today!

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes , endos do usually make you wait a little while before going on the pump. They want to make sure you are checking etc. I would keep very good records. I kept records of BG's, food eaten, insulin taken before going on the pump for my kids. You need to make it clear this is what you want to move to and find out what they want you to do like some endos have classes they want you to take. Do your pump research too, so you have knowledge of the differences and basically how they work.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't ask. Tell.

Our friend had been pumping so we were a bit familiar with it. Our first visit with our endo, we told her that our goal in 6 months(insurance allowed us to start process at 6 month mark) would be to start transitioning to the pump. She said great, here are 3 pumps that would fit our needs and she gave us the pump comparison chart. We are lucky as our practice is pro-pump (if you so desire).

At the 6 month mark we submitted our paperwork. We had the pump in about 3 weeks.
    At the 7 month mark we went to all the required appointments at the clinic.
    At the 8 month mark we went live.
    We had a bit of a gap in time because of the holidays and then my daughter ended up in the hospital with a stomach bug so we had to postpone training.

So, tell them you want it, don't let them say no or that you have to wait a year (some docs do this). If they give you a hard time firmly but nicely tell them this is why you want it and if they don't support you it would probably be in everyone's best interest to find someone who will. Have all your ducks in a row, have all your records in order, have some opinions formed on which pumps may or may not work for you.
    Good luck!

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think you need to show that you've been reading up on pumps and have some basic understanding of basal/bolus. If they require you go to classes before getting a pump - ask to get those done so you can move forward. If they don't require classes - do everything you can (online and books) to learn about pumps.

I asked for a pump with the first visit to the pedi endo and she told me 6 months. I was ready WAY before that. Honestly looking back - being on shots was a holy living nightmare waste of time for the most part - he was so very sensitive to insulin and it was almost impossible to correct his numbers. Overnight a 10th of a unit brought him down 100 points. I should have been able to have one by 2 months in at the most. (This was 2004 - so not too many toddlers on pumps then - and he was 26 months at diagnosis)

A pump would have made that so much easier. By the time I got it - we went out to dinner the first night he had it and I did a combo bolus and I got to guess at the carbs - and it was awesome. It was the first time anything felt like normal after 6+ months. Yes - by then I was way more than ready for a pump. Can you tell 9 years later I'm still bitter?:p

6. Anyelday

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all her responses.

I have been looking at pumps and am leaning towards Omnipod though I would like to see them in person. I have read Think Like a Pancreas and most of Pumping Insulin so I think that helps my case. We also carb factor and are very knowledgeable about counting carbs-check her 7-10 times a day and keep good logs of all meals. I know I am in good compliance in that respect so I guess I will let them know we want them to move in that direction. She has also expressed interest which is important and I want her to let the Endo know that as well.

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Our doctor was pretty adamant about making us wait 12 months. But at our 6 month appointment this is what I think won him over. I casually mentioned how often we combo bolus on MDI for higher fat meals - pizza, pasta etc ... He raised an eyebrow. I continued. "Sure, we give X% up from and wait Y hours to give the next dose". He said "you guys are ready for the pump" and we're now Podding. So if you are combo bolusing already, you may want to stress that.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We are in Charleston, SC too -

We are in Charleston too - well Hanahan, right outside. We pushed for a pump because we educated ourself and were willing to learn. I believe my son was MDI for 6 months - mostly my decision because I was a teacher and wanted to wait until the summer to learn the pump and adjust.

I think if you are knowledgeable and want to pump, there is no reason why you need to wait. Just push and go for it!

I hope your visit went well. PM me if you want to talk about a specific practice - doctor, etc.

9. Anyelday

Thanks! I sent you a reply...

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We were pumping a bit more than 3 months after dx. Our endo was wildly in favor of it (they offered Molly to go on the pump in the ICU due to a clinical trial they were running, but we declined because we were so overwhelmed!) Our insurance company declined and we had to appeal. Fortunately we won the appeal. Stick to your guns and methodically deal with any obstacle you encounter! Best of luck!

11. shannong

shannong Approved members

When we saw our endo at the 3month visit, I had decided I wanted my son on the pump. I told the endo this is what I wanted and he really balked at the idea. I could not understand why any endo would be hesitant to do this. However, at his 6month visit, the endo acted completely different and told us to start looking at what kind of pump we wanted because we will order it at the next visit. Now that I have sort of figured out MDI, I don't mind waiting for the pump. I think having knowledge of MDI and pump will give my son more options in the future, so I think it's all good.

12. Anyelday

He was very receptive and actually willing to set up an appointment in a month. However, since I am 39 weeks pregnant we decided to wait 3 more months because I have a feeling I will be too sleep deprived and hormonal in a month to focus on learning what I need to learn.

I will continue to read and learn and I think we will definitely be ready to make the switch by then.

13. Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Approved members

We left he hospital with the pump. It was basically.... learn learn learn, then forget what you learned cause the pump is different. There were two endo's and the first one we met was new she said we would have to wait. Then the main endo came in and said... no no no you are going to stay until I can clear up some red tape and you are going home with the pump. He is too young for you to go through it this way..... and I have to say, I agree! It was so tough to tell him he couldn't eat anything but protein for three hours! And at school! What a mess that would have been!
    They aren't really requiring me to log too much since the pump does it all for us.... minus the actual meals... the carbs are in there all the bg's and how much insulin. Our nurse who we talk to a few times a day... keeps us on track with the numbers.... We know the basics and I think next when they have enough information they will give us yet another lesson. I am going to get a food log book though because from reading this site it seems it will help.