- advertisement -

Endo appt today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nmco123, Apr 20, 2010.

1. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Hey Everyone,

So we had an Endo appt today our 2nd one since dx. They are STILL telling us the reason for all the inconsistency is "honeymoon" is starting or ending, I really feel like they have no idea. Colin's #'s really have no rhyme or reason we are all over the board 50's to high 300's on any given day. Why? We are on Humalog and NPH and are considering moving to Lantus in the summer once we can get him used to many more shots a day. But will this really help? Tose of you on Lantus/Humalog or Novolog does this work better? I understand all our children are different but im grasping at straws here! Also, when the attending came in (we spend most of the appt w/ the fellow, whom I love) she said since our A1C was 8 ( came down from dx, was 8.8) we need to manage diabetes better, like come'on! I do EVERYTHING they tell me to do and am doing my best here. I thought 8 was pretty good considering? :confused:
    :( Any advice and thoughts here?

Thanks all!
    Nicole

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, we've been at this over 3 years and we still have days with 50s and 300s in the same day - its just an unfortunate reality

Some people are successful on NPH but typically, most people get better control with Lantus. I would encourage you to not wait until your son "gets used to" more shots. This is his unfortunate reality of life and I would make the switch. You need to make the best medical decision for him and it sounds like switching off NPH is the right decision.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

what does NPH stand for? Ashleigh is on novolog and lantus. in the past week her highest BS was 204 and her lowest was 58. But the majority of her readings are in the 80-150 range.

if what your using now isn't helping, i'd switch to something else. How long has it been since dx? Ashleigh's A1c at Dx was 14 so i'm curious to know what it will be at her endo appt in July.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hey Nicole, I think you guys are doing real well for being so new to diabetes. The A1C did come down which is the important thing and unfortunately the winter months are notorious for having higher A1Cs due to a couple things, inactivity when its cold out and all the darn viruses that young kids catch every other week.

We did have good luck with NPH and humolog with Steven for the first 4 years but we like the lantus and humolog alot better. Stevens eating schedule was very strict on NPH, he had 3 meals and 3 snacks per day at the same times each day. That meant 7:30 in the morning he had to be up even on weekends and during vacations. Now I can let him sleep in later. And just being able to go to a birthday party and say Yes Steven can have cake!:) and give him a shot for it and join in the fun.

With MDI you will probably give one shot of lantus and then the fast acting insulin is given with a pen. The needles on the pen are even shorter then the ones on the syringes, very tiny, and often Steven doesnt realize Ive given him his shot.

Im with Nancy though, even almost 6 years into this we have many days where some numbers are near 50 and others are near 300. So it doesnt mean you are doing anything wrong. When a child is coming out of honeymoon often they will have days when they are having lows when the pancreas really wants to get in the game! and other days of lots of highs when the pancreas is napping. It can be infuriating!

5. chammond

chammond Approved members

I think that it sounds like you are doing your best, and an 8.0 is a good A1C for a 6 year old. Just out of curiousity I went to the pink panther book to see what the recommended a1c is for that age, and it is <8.0. So, while you are at the upper part of the recommended limit, you are also early in diagnosis and still learning. I think it is pitiful that your endo would put this on you when you are still so early in. I could understand if you were at a 9 or 10, but an 8 is totally acceptable in my opinion, and obviously also of the endocrinologists at the Barbara Davis Center.
    Here is a link to the page that shows A1c ranges
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/firstbook/firstbook14.pdf

6. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have been at it 2 years and we can't get her A1C below 8.1%. We use novolog in a pump and a CGMS . . . it is not unheard of for her to be 50 and 450 in the same day. Wish I had a smaller range, but for us the unpredictability has never ceased and they tell us we're doing everything "right", whatever that means!

7. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Well...this has been my world for two years!

We are on NPH too..but we are going to either MDI or the pump to see if we can get his A1C done and his numbers more in range.

You may want to switch Endo's. I did and it has helped because she has said it is not our fault, just that MDI or the pump may be a better regime than NPH for my son.

Keep posting here...lots of great advise and people who understand.

I think 8 is pretty darn good for your second visit and being so new and honeymooning.:)

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I agree with the others who say it was a rather inappropriate thing for your endo to say. How infuriating!

NPH can be tricky to use especially when the dose starts getting higher (we find above 8 units to be quite unpredictable in terms of peaks).

If you want to add the Lantus now, you could still use the NPH to cover snacks and lunch during the day. It would mean one extra shot, probably in the morning. The extra basal of the Lantus might help keeping his bg even.

Of course, you would want to discuss this with your endo team.