- advertisement -

Endo appt today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Nov 27, 2008.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor had his endo appt today. This was the big one with all the blood work since next month will be a year since dx.
    His A1C is 5.9. At first the endo said she wasn't sure about it being below 6 because she likes to see kids in the 6's. Then she looked at his numbers and saw that he has had only one reading below 60(a 58) in the past 2 weeks. She looked at some of my other print-outs also and seemed ok with the A1C then.

She was pleased with his growth and how well his pump sites are healing. Then we went over his labs. His cholesterol was great. His thyroid tests all came back fine. Then we moved on to the Celiac results. Connor had one of the 3 tests come back significantly high. The Gliadin IgG was high but the rest were fine. According to the lab that ran the tests the IgG should be <10 and Connor's came back 17.7. The endo is going to consult with his GI (who happens to be in the same office) and they will decide if any further testing needs to be done or if we will wait and see a little longer.

Overall it was a great appt and we just keep doing what we've been doing for now.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm glad that the endo appointment went well overall.. I know some of the celiac tests have a higher false positive rate, but I don't know what that rate it.. there are some tests that are far more accurate than others for celiac.. when Kaylee had hers done it came back at 27, and neg. was considered under 20 and pos. over 30, so she was in the 'grey' area.. then they sent it out to a specialty lab where over 4 was positive and she came back at a 10.. Is your son have any of the celiac symptoms? One of the biggest things is to make sure you do not take any gluten out of his diet.. this will make the tests read negative..some endo's/GI dr's like to wait until the tests are really really high (in the 100s) before looking furthar and others will refer them right away.. Kaylee's endo pass her along to a GI dr. right away, but I know others that waited to see what would happen.. I really hope that his test was/is a false positive!