- advertisement -

Endo advice needed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Jul 16, 2008.


    PAULEEN Approved members

    Apr 15, 2008
    Hi All, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. My son has been dx'd for 4 months now and we have finally convinced my Endo that he should start the pump. She has made things very difficult for us everytime we ask for something. The only thing that has gotten us through with her is that we LOVE her Nurse. She has gotten us through everything with great comfort and always a smile. Well, we found out her nurse is leaving to further her education, and our insurance company has informed us that they do not participate with this doctor. We really had no choice at time of son's dx to choose a dr and pretty much took who our ped suggested and it was this Endo. Well, our pump has been ordered and we should be getting it and the CGM tomorrow. We are not starting it until Aug 7th because my son is going to camp on Sunday for 2 weeks and we have to wait for him to return. So, we are kind of 'stuck' with this Endo until we start the pump and feel comfortable because we do not want to delay the pump. My son is so excited about it, and we want him to begin before the start of school. Here is where your advise is needed - once we begin the pump how long should we wait, to feel comfortable and change Endos? How is a new Endo going to accept our choice to leave our current one being 'newbies' on the pump, and what should I be asking a new Endo to be sure that they are the "one" for us. Once we change, I really don't want to be 'shopping' for a new one again. I am totally a nervous wreck about my son beginning the pump in the first place not to mention that I will not have my nurse who is also the pump trainer to lean on. :eek: So, any suggestions or ideas that any of you can give me is so appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

    Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

    Feb 23, 2007
    You probably won't like my advice. I'm going to apologize ahead of time. :eek:

    I would hold off on the pump start :eek: (I'm sorry) with your current Endo, if she's going to be the one your going to be dealing with. If she makes everything difficult now, I can only imagine starting the pump.
    You need a lot of adjusting in the beginning (normally), someones help and attention (most of the time daily).
    If you go ahead and start the pump anyway- no harm in doing so, it sounds like it could just be more rough than what you'd like.

    Get on the horn, call around and get some nurses on the phone from these other Endo's office, and see what you think. Get an appointment scheduled with a new Endo ASAP. Don't be scared of it, embrace it, your shopping for someone that's going to work for YOU and your SON! A very important job, IMO...
    twodoor2 likes this.
  3. Flutterby

    Flutterby Approved members

    Nov 11, 2006
    well,first WHO would be your contact for pump start.. is there a cde or nurse.. if you are going to be dealing directly with the endo for pump start, I would delay it, but if you are going to be dealing with the nurse that is helpful, I'd go ahead and do it.. What I would do right now is find a new endo.. whether you are going to start the pump in two weeks or not.. I'd find a new endo and make an appointment.. it'll probably take a few weeks/months to get in there anyway.. if you aren't newly dx, there is typically a waiting period.. so I would just go ahead and do that.. do the pump start as planned, if you'll be dealing with the helpful nurse or a cde, if you are dealing with the endo directly, I'd think long and hard about cancelling the pump start until you can get in somewhere else.. :)
  4. jendean

    jendean Approved members

    Aug 28, 2007
    I am going to agree with Lanae here, but also state that it could be your endo did not want to RX the pump when you are still honeymooning. It can be dangerous to go changing insuin regimes during the honeymoon.

    But, that said, if it is a bedside manner issue, and your endo has none, write a kind letter about the nurse to the endo or the office manager, and start it with an endo you like better.

    I think pump success can depend on the relationship you have with the endo...
    Good luck.

    TEXSONMOM Approved members

    Jun 10, 2008
    Long story short - my son's diagnosing ped endo retired... My son wanted a pump and we wanted him to have one. We chose a new endo based on the fact he would get my DS a prescription for the pump no questions asked. We didn't care for that Endo but we got the pump. We went with Minimed and our local rep was the best. Basically he was the one who got my son all hooked up and trained. He called, came to our house, really he and my son clicked and it worked out great. He too has Diabetes since about my son's age and wears a pump.

    Once we were able to get a new and improved Ped Endo he was able to fine tune things, and still does 1 1/2 years later.

    The pump made such a BIG difference in my son's life that I personally am glad we rushed it through like we did.
  6. Darryl

    Darryl Approved members

    May 8, 2008

    We started our daughter on the pump (omnipod) 3 months after her diagnosis.

    Switching to the pump was an improvement in every possible way over MDI -
    much more precise control, much less hypoglycemia, ability to eat any meal or
    snack whenever she wants to, ease of giving insulin in school and public places,
    and no more pain (I put on her pod's for her while she's asleep). There has not
    been any downside of using the pump.

    You do need a doctor who is supportive. It could be your endo, or a pediatrician
    who specializes in type 1 such as ours. The pump companies can train you if your
    doctor can not. I would agree to find a new doctor first, then switch to the pump.

    Good luck,
  7. Lisa P.

    Lisa P. Approved members

    May 19, 2008
    If you had a great relationship with this nurse, could you ask her on the QT what endo she would recommend?

    PAULEEN Approved members

    Apr 15, 2008
    Thank you all for your responses. I have asked my Nurse who she would recommend, she has set me up with the Minimed pump person who also does training and she is good friends with. But does not feel comfortable giving us a doctor's name because of insurance issues. She also gave me her personal email to contact her if I have any problems (she just can't promise a quick response). I probably should have said in my original post my son is out of the honeymoon and more of a reason for us to begin the pump. The issue with my Endo was mainly her attitude and her response for not wanting us to persue the pump sooner than September (we are starting one month earlier) was simply because "she is the doctor and says so" :eek:...Something that does not sit well with me. Her nurse was there at the time and called me after hours to let me know that she feels that we are ready for the pump and can handle it. She also told me in a nice way - "this is how this doctor is" and nothing can change her mind (another reason why she is leaving). I have become good friends with this girl and am very confident that if she felt that we were not ready for the pump she would tell us. She has had D since she was 6 years old, she also is a trainor for MM and she is not a registered CDE. So, I after careful consideration with my husband, son, and nurse we have decided to begin the pump and change drs. I am just very nervous about changing to a new Dr, someone who does not know our "history" (as short as it is). You are all right though - next week when my son is away (and I have more 'free' time) I will start calling. Thank you, all for your thoughts and advice. I appreciate it very much. :)
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice