- advertisement -

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It's my son's second year of college now. I remember that feeling of emptiness when I walked past his room last year. It was almost unspeakable. Anyone else feel this way?

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

During Marissa's first year, she lived in a dorm and was home frequently.

For her second year (September 2006), she moved into a condo at school. We moved all of her bedroom furniture and clothing down to school.

I remember coming back after the move and looking at her empty room, seeing just the impressions of her furniture in the carpet. That was when it really hit me that she was grown up.

She still comes back a lot -- school is about a half hour away -- but she is really moved out.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Dropping my son off at college last year as a freshman at Ohio State just a few months after he was diagnosed with Type 1 was absolutely the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. :( Study hard and stay alive please. :rolleyes: Can we keep this glucagon right by the dorm room door frame for all the roommates to see? :D

4. susanH

susanH Approved members

my son is 3 hours away, his sophomore year.

i can't really describe that drop off/initial separation period last year; it was incredibly difficult for all of us. this year seems a bit easier, but there is still a huge emptiness in this house. huge.

he is my oldest, i have one other jr. high girl at home. we are a very close family of 4, having him gone is like running the car with three wheels, or having a house with 3 walls ....it just feels weird!

5. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

Wow, Ellen - I know exactly how you feel!! My first son left for college 2 yrs ago and I was finally able to go by his empty bedroom without crying and now my second son is gone. I worry more about him becuz of his D but I really, really miss both of them. It always hits me most when I walk by their bedrooms!!

Mary Jayne

6. PattyR

PattyR Approved members

I know, those empty rooms are the worst - the constant reminder that both are gone. I loved having my children at home and miss them every day.

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think reading your posts and having my oldest gone (well he leaves in 2 weeks for his sophomore year), helps me to keep in perspective issues with my younger son (15) and to appreciate the time I have left with them living at home.

'Don't sweat the small stuff' really is not a cliche. :cwds: Just as a side point - I love the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. The author Richard Carlson passed away at age 45 in December 2006 - so sad.