- advertisement -

Empire Today carpet

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Has anyone used them?
    Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    Do they move the furniture for you?

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

High-pressure sales outfit. They will come out, but really push you to do it right there.

I would avoid them just because of that alone.

3. Beach bum

Thanks for the honesty. That is one thing I don't want.
    Will pass them right over now. It's worth the few extra bucks not to deal with that.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm always leery of in-home sales for that exact reason, feeling pressured. I would rather take my time and do the research and schlep to the stores myself. Maybe that's why my bedroom still doesn't have the carpet replaced, lol! ;)

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I figure their prices have to be outrages if they have specials like buy 2 rooms of flooring and they will do the rest of the house free...

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

But I can sing the jingle! :p Yeah, the in-home sales call thing makes me uncomfortable. Hope you find something great!

7. Beach bum

Same here! 13 years, I think it's time we get new rugs.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That is one of those things where you must read the fine print. They will do the rest of the house free, BUT it does not include things like padding for under the carpet,or other things that we would want to be included when getting a new floor.

If it seems to good to be true... well you all know how it goes.

9. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

I held one of their samples up to the light and could see through it. I showed the guy the door at that point. I need stuff that will last.

10. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

We used Empire Today granted we are in Canada but same company, same catchy jingle. We were putting our house up for sale so needed some carpeting done fast. I admit I didn't really shop around but I found them fabulous. The salesman wasn't pushy at all, rather knowledgeable and professional. The installers showed up when they were supposed to and in the middle of a snowstorm (opted for 3 days instead of next day because it fit in my schedule better). Work was really well done. For what's its worth, I really enjoyed my experience :)

11. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Do you have Angie's list or know someone who does in your area? I joined it only b/c it was a Groupon...but I swear by it now. Every company I have used that had numerous "A" ratings from regular consumers has been just excellent. Like asking a good friend who they used. I looked Empire up in my area--must be 2 different franchises in my city. One franchise had 11 reports w/ 11 A ratings, the other had only 2 reports, 1 A and 1 F. So may be a hit & miss thing depending on the franchise too.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

The two quotes above just goes to show you...You never know.

I have done in home sales for 21 years...There are good sales people, and not so good. I don't know much about them but it couldn't hurt to give them a try...People buy from people they like, if you don't like them you can always kick them to the proverbial curb ;)

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

No matter who use buy carpet from - make sure that the installer uses a Power Stretcher. Carpet that is just "knee-kicked" in will develop wrinkles and waves over the next 2 to 5 years and need restretching.

We own a carpet cleaning and repair business. We make lots of money restretching carpet that the consumer had installed by a "bargain" company that only knee-kicked it in.

The old saying -" You get what you pay for" is true.

14. Beach bum

Thanks, I totally forgot about that.
    I'm going with a local company that while a little pricier is very reputable. My other big concern is that they will be moving furniture, so I want a company that will do it properly and not just have one guy doing the job and moving things by himself.