- advertisement -

Emotional Diabetes Day at 4th Grade Graduation

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cjh, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Never got a chance to post this on Friday...but Cameron graduated from 4th grade with a ceremony since he is off to the middle school next year where 7 elementary schools come together. I was doing fine in the morning...but once I walked into school I felt my eyes tearing up...what an emotional day!!! Cameron was diagnosed and out of the hospital 2 days before starting first grade so I feel such a connection between the school and his diabetes. Although we were scared to death...we felt he was safer there those first few days for 8 hours than with us since the nurse was familiar with diabetes. Needless to say I had tears streaming down my face the entire time...I'm sure some parents were wondering what was wrong with me. I guess the other crying factor is that he is growing up...leaving his comfort zone...getting more independent, etc. It was surprising how much I was affected by the day. Although I know he is excited, Cameron was sad to leave the school and said he wished he could stay there....once he gets into a routine at the middle school I am sure he will love it...it is just the adjustment period...new nurse..more kids and teachers. Well I rattled on enough...just wanted to share with my emotional day with those who could understand....doing much better now...but come the end of August (which is also his 4th diabetes anniversary) I am sure to be an emotional mess:)

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hey Stephanie,

Congratulations to Cameron!!! A Middle Schooler!!! :D They grow up so fast! sigh... Both of mine are in High School :eek::eek:

You will all adjust to Middle School life within the first few days I'm sure!

Enjoy the Summer. Wishing him the best.... :)

Kathy

3. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Thanks Kathy! It is amazing how time flies....I remember 1st grade so much more vividly than him starting kindergarten b/c of dealing with the diabetes diagnosis at that time....so many emotions!!! I love of course that he is growing up to be such a great young man...but part of me wants him little forever. He will go great in middle school and he is very responsible with his diabetes care. He's off to new places....the first of many...and mom just has to get a grip!!!:)

4. ckhall04

ckhall04 Approved members

Stephanie,

I totally can understand how emotional you must be. I also have a Cameron, and he was diagnosed in January, 2010 right before he turned ten years old. He's eleven now, and getting ready to go the 6th grade. The school has been absolutely wonderful with Cameron after his diagnosis, and I actually felt more comfortable while he was at school than when he was home with us those first months after diagnosis, because I knew the nurses and teachers were diligently watching out for him!! He still has one more year at his school, but I'm already worrying about the following year when he enters junior high!:eek:

I am so glad your Cameron also had a great school, and I'm sure he will do just fine at his new school.

Annette
    Mom to Chloe, age 6, non D and
    Mom to Cameron, age 11, diagnosed 1/4/2010, Omnipodding since 4/10 and LOVING it!!

5. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Congratulations, Stephanie! What a great day...tears and all :)

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I can totally get you. My dd has had D for over 5 years, but she just finish 1/2 day kinder year. It was an amaizing intro to the school system and I love that she will be there and graduate 6th grade before going on to middle, (unless of course we get another popultion boom).

When did 4th grade start middle school?

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My nonD daughter had her "Move Up Day" on Thursday--but here they start middle school in 6th grade. Did not have the D memories with her, but it is amazing how fast the time flew. I can clearly remember getting her ready for her first day of kindergarten and putting her on the bus. She went off like a trooper and has never looked back. She won a Presidential Award for Academic Excellence along with a couple of classroom awards...we are so proud of her.

We had some tears too...Her Move Up Day was bittesweet, as my FIL just had had a stroke two days previous. My husband was still in a bit of a shocky place, and I was tearing up knowing how proud Pop Pop would be of my daughter. Rachel can't wait to show Pop Pop her award pin when he wakes up. He hasn't yet...:( He's opened his eyes a few times, but is not focusing.:(

8. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

9. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

That is wonderful that she can stay in the same school until 7th grade. 5th grade here use to stay in elementary but was switched a few years ago b/c of population. We now have a 5/6 building which is attached to a 7/8 building but the kids do not mix except on the bus and then high school 9-12. His school is really now like a little college campus....the kids rave about the cafeteria and all the choices...entrees, pizza, burgers, fries and icecream daily:eek: And my son loves to EAT...but is a great carb counter!!! Lots of changes ahead but he will do fine I'm sure.....I'm just a mushy mess!!!

10. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Kathy...my reply is on #8 if you didn't see it.....somehow I messed up the quote.

11. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Hope your father-in-law is doing better and improves each day. He is going to be so proud of Rachel. Sending thoughts and prayers your way!!!

12. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Congratulations! What a big milestone. My dd is also finishing 4th grade, but it'll be another 2 years before she moves on to another school. That's good news for me, because I can't see her surviving in more of a middle school atmosphere at this point!

As for being a big mushy mess, know that you're not alone. My older dd just went through the National Junior Honor Society induction - not even a graduation! - and I was a mess there. I think it just comes with being a mom.:)

13. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Not fair...you get 2 more years to prepare;)
    And You are absolutely right...I am in store for many more mushy mom moments...it comes with the territory:)

14. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steph, you must be so proud of Cameron:) My Steven is 10 now and will be going into 5th grade this fall too. I know exactly how you feel;) Incredible pride and love and awe at how brave our kids are. And the nervousness about the future. Im sure Cameron is going to do just fine in middle school with a loving supportive family behind him;)

15. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Thanks Becky....you are absolutely right....a lot of the emotion is because of how proud I am of him. Our kids deal with so much...and take it like champs!! It is amazing to me everyday how well he handles diabetes and its many challenges with a smile on his face:) Best wishes to your family as well.
    Enjoy the summer!!!