- advertisement -

EMLA so itchy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nyholli, Aug 5, 2011.

1. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Anyone have a child itch terrible from EMLA (its the generic lidocaine and prio.. ?? caine) ? Its not the tape because I've tried a few ways of keeping it on. Is there an alternative? I suggested ice but she won't and insists on the EMLA but then screams cause it is so itchy. Thanks.

2. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My son had a reaction the one and only time he tried EMLA cream. He screamed for me to get it off of him because it felt "buggy" (a four year old's way of saying that it felt like little bugs under his skin). We switched to lidocaine cream and everything was fine. Now, when asked about allergies, I mention prilocaine as a possible but unconfirmed allergy. EMLA has two key ingredients, lidocaine and prilocaine. My guess is that my son reacts to the prilocaine. Allergy? I have no idea. But it is best that he avoids the stuff.

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

We used EMLA only once as well. Nathan's skin got VERY red and slightly swollen and he cried that it hurt.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Selah felt this once, I think it's got to do with how the nerves start to get tingly when the numbing begins. I tried that rub on stuff for teething once on myself before trying it on a kid, and it felt painful to me! I think sensation can vary per person.

You could try nongeneric, it actually works differently for us, or the lidocaine without the prilocaine (doesn't numb well for us). There's also a spray they use at our doctor's office that sprays cold, it worked for a blood draw for Selah, but I think it was more in her head than anything.

I sympathize with your situation, Selah wants the Emla but hates taking off the tape. She's now old enough I can "reason it out" with her more and give her the choice, tape and Emla or insertion without either. She goes back and forth!

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son developed a definite reaction to prilocaine. His skin started getting red and painful wherever the EMLA had been. It looked almost as if he had been scorched by it. After the numbness had worn off, he complained that the area really, really hurt.

We just switched to lidocaine alone, and it works just fine. His allergist told us to avoid prilocaine, so now we have to list it on all his medical information.

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Our endo recommended that we only use Emla when absolutely necessary to avoid developing an allergy (she wants it to be a viable option when needed, so don't over-use).

7. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

8. Mindy and Tim

Mindy and Tim Approved members

My dau was deathly afraid of needles prior to her dx. She was excited to switch to pump, and did not want to go back to needles, but set changes were horrible (read, screaming, crying, etc, etc...). Our CDE recommended we try something called Buzzy Bee (buzzy4shots.com). It is a combination of vibration and cold, which is supposed to confuse the nerves and decrease the pain greatly. I was very skeptical, but ready to try anything. The first set change with Buzzy was amazing! She still has a little discomfort with some of the changes, but nothing like how it used to be. We even took Buzzy to camp this summer and the nurse used it there for her. Definitely a must-have!

9. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

We never had to use Emla for site changes but the dexcom needle seemed to call for some numbing. Sophia decided to try the insertion without Emla (because of the long wait and sensitive skin) and we discovered a new numbing cream: TV. She gets to watch her favorite show during a sensor change and she calls TV now her "new Emla". While fixated on her TV show, she does not even notice the needle. My kid has a big tolerance for pain so this may not work for everyone but it is worth a try.