- advertisement -

Emergency!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Does anyone remember this show from the 70's? We have this station ME TV that plays classic shows, and this is one of them. My kids are hooked on it:D I used to love it as a kid.

Anyways, we've watched 2 episodes now where they have had diabetes emergencies. I cannot believe it...drumroll please, it was handled properly!
    One the person was accused of being on drugs by someone and the paramedics realized he was low, and the other a woman came in in a coma and the first thing the doctor said was "smell the acetone?" She's in DKA... Get her an IV with insulin.

My daughter was very impressed...

Think of it, circa, 1973 and they are possibly more accurate than shows today.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We used to watch Emergency every day after school. I wonder if one of the writers had diabetes or knew someone who did? Maybe that's why it was so accurate?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

When I saw the title of your thread I thought there was really an emergency :p

I used to watch that show. If you really want to go in the Way-Back machine, what about Marcus Welby, M.D. , Good Times, Mannix or the Night Stalker? I used to love all those shows.

Being a true Latch-Key kid I would come home after school to an empty house, make myself a big bowl of Spaghetti-O's and sit in front of the TV watching all those shows like I was the king of the castle....:cool:

That is great that they actually got it right.

4. Beach bum

Ah free reign of the tv and spaghetti-o's (with hot dogs), life was so much simpler then!

5. Christopher

Yeah, there was no Internet...... ;)

6. LJM

LJM Approved members

Totally loved that show. Dating myself, but grew up with ONE channel we could pull where I lived in the boonies. That show and Adam 12!

7. LJM

LJM Approved members

We had totally the same channel. I had forgotten about Night Stalker, might have to check Netflix tonight!

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I wouldnt have missed an episode for love nor money when I was a kid....

matt has recently watched the seriers via net flix. He also, has watched every season of adam 12.... another of my favorite shows of childhood.

I recall a show, chopper 1(???) starring a very very young mark harmon (or perhaps Im dreaming) He was killer then as he is now on NCIS. M_E_O_W!!!

sorry, not chopper one but 240 robert. I will have matt look that one up.

chips was another favorite of mine from the day, I dont think matt has seen that yet, dukes of hazzard to date is the favorite. Since his first episode, its been cowboy boots and rebel flags.

mash, stanford and sons, all in the family. Those were the days.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well if we're gonna go there.....:p

What about Gillagan's Island?

I think this was the show I watched the most as a kid when I got home from school. I *loved* Emergency and I'm sure I watched every episode! Amazing they got the diabetes stuff right. I wonder how accurate it is for other medical things they treated? Maybe they had good medical consultants working on the show or something!

I remember watching Kojak with my mom and they used to sell lollipops with his picture on it believe it or not! (cause he was always eating them). How about Starsky and Hutch? Quincy M.E.? There were a slew of detective and doctor dramas back then that I watched - and I don't watch any of that sort of show now - LOL!

10. Beach bum

Loved Quincy and Rockford Files, and American Bandstand(pre MTV and VH1)!!!

LOL, the girls just don't get that we had 3 major channels and PBS. then depending where you lived in town, were able to pull in WPIX and FOX (when it was just a small station) from NYC. And, if you wanted to watch something different, you had to get up and change the channel. If you were really lucky, you had a color TV. I remember when Soul Train came on on Saturdays, it was time to go out and play.

11. Christopher

In addition to the ones mentioned above (all of which I watched) what about Love Boat, Love American Style, Laugh In, The Brady Bunch.....wow, I guess I watched a lot of TV....

12. Beach bum

Love Boat, followed by Fantasy Island. Pizza and soda night in our house:D