- advertisement -

Emergency preparedness....greetings from the island of Vermont.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Daddy RRT, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Not even 3 months out of the gate and we've been put to the test.

From day 1, post Dx, we've developed certain habits that lend themselves to emergency rediness. Hurricane Irene ripped through our area and cut us off for about 48 hours. Without an airlift (not likely given the weather) we had no access to a hospital or any other medical facility. In comparison to some, we had it easy. I'd been paying close attention to the forecast, as we have family along the east coast, and was well prepared for an extended power outage. I was prepared to live indefinitely without power, and fairly comfortably as well. But that all went out the window the minute we were evacuated......back to those habits I mentioned. We always keep the kit, and a larger kit with lots of supplies, in a central location in the kitchen, we always keep them well stocked, and a have "go bag" of snacks at the ready. We had about 5 minutes warning before being taken out in the bucket of a front end loader only to wind up in a school gymnasium with no food until some time later. If it wasn't for our plan, we may have had a big problem. Another thing that came in handy was a small LED flashlight we keep in the kit.

PS: Juiceboxes don't float!

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Wow - are you back in your house and everything ok?

The upcoming 10th anniversary of 9/11 has reminded me how I was always better prepared to "pick up and run" in 2004 when William was dx'd than I am now. I have most supplies in one kitchen cabinet and a big bag to shove them in if we had to leave suddenly. (I live near Washington, DC - more worried about terrorist attack than flooding in my particular neighborhood).

Kudos to you for being so well prepared. We are getting a TON of rain down here from Lee - I hope it isn't moving your way.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Unfortunately, we are. It has been raining here on and off pretty hard since Monday night.

To the OP. Thanks for reminding us of importance of being always prepared, not just if a storm is coming. 9/11 happened right after the girls were born. I always had a bag ready to go, and formula easy to grab. I must say, I've gotten lax in my emergency preparedness.

4. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

How scary! Thanks for the warning. I guess I would make the assumption that emergency shelters would have food!

Adding a flashlight to the go bag and a couple more granola bars.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

And to add, have a copy of your latest pump settings along with all basal/I:C ratios somewhere handy, or in the box.

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

This is a great reminder!

Are you putting insulin in your emergency bag now? I'm thinking of doing this because I could see myself forgetting to get a vial out of the fridge in an emergency. I guess expired or unrefrigerated insulin is better than no insulin?

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

The other thing I have in our emergency kit is everyone's birth certificates. I've heard of people having problems because they had no ID after an disaster/fire.

I hope things are improving for you all.