- advertisement -

Emergency MDI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Our dd's PDM died, and we won't have a new one till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I'm rusty on MDI -- we haven't used Lantus in over 3 years!

I have a call into the CDE about the plan for switching to MDI for the next 24 hours, but, in case she doesn't call back, please check my work:

DD's total daily basal is a smidge over 13 units. When we were on MDI, we split the dose. So, do we just do 6.5 units of Lantus at bedtime and 6.5 at wakeup tomorrow? And how about reconnecting when we have the new PDM -- do we wait 12 hours after the last Lantus dose to reconnect and restart pump basal?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have never done this, so take this with a grain of salt:

Even though you split the lantus dose, it still lasts close to 24 hours. So 12 hours after the second split dose you will still have 12 hours to go on that dose. BUT, it will be only half of what she needs since you won't have the second half of the first dose overlapping.

So I think you will want to reconnect 12 hours after second dose at 50% basal, and then increase basal to 100% 12 hours after that, when that second lantus shot has cleared her system.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. Snowflake

Yes! This makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing this out.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Happy to "help" :) Good luck and hope it goes smoothly.

5. Snowflake

Thanks! the nurse suggested that we try Lantus with a single dose rather than splitting, since DD is much older now than she was during our last go-round. It worked beautifully! We had the best night in weeks last night. Didn't miss our pump controls at all!

The only other hiccup was that our Dexcom receiver took a bath yesterday afternoon right after the PDM died. It took several hours for us to track down the "real" receiver, find the transmitter id sticker, etc. It was a stressful day all around, but at least it didn't show up in her bgs.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Awesome! While I dread a pump failure I think this is a good exercise. I'm glad it went well.

7. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Glad everything all worked out well for you guys.

Our PDM died all of sudden 2 weekends ago. It had to happen when my daughter was away at a friend's birthday party doing rock climbing. I had to go and pick her up from the party early. We called tech support, and it was decided that they had to overnight us another PDM. Luckily, we had a backup PDM at home.

Backup PDM is a good idea, especially when you are out traveling.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hmm.. if the emergency Lantus gave the best night in weeks, that may be something to reflect about. Just wondering if there is anything there that could help with the ongoing D management.