- advertisement -

Embroidered Medic Alert patch for D kits - Want one?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ADHDiabetic Mom, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

I posted below about trying to find embroidered medic alert patches to sew onto my son's D kit. The answers I received indicate that I'm not the only one looking for these, so I have an idea.

When my kids were taking karate a few years ago, I designed two patches for the school and had them made up by a company I found online. They did a FANTASTIC job for a reasonable price. The minimum order was 100 patches.

I know I could use at least 2-3 of these, and one person has PM-ed to say she would like 5-7. That's 10% of an order right there. If enough other people are interested, I could put this together and make these available. It would also be something nice I could do in return for all of you out there who have helped my family with extra supplies for the last several years, too!

I haven't checked current prices, but I'm thinking that the patches would cost about $5 each, maybe less.

I was thinking a round patch, black black background, with the red medic alert symbol (the one that looks like a six-point star with flat points, and the medical snake symbol over it). It would say "Medic Alert - Type 1 Diabetes," or "Diabetes," or something similar. Unfortunately, we could not do individual names or anything -- they would have to be identical.

If you are interested in participating in this and getting some patches for a good price, post below with how many you would be interested in. If I can get a committment for, say, 50-75 patches, I'd be willing to go ahead with it and sell the extras on eBay. (I said PM at first, but my mailbox is getting full and I don't have time to go clean it out right now.)

Also, comment below if you have any specific suggestions for the design. I would keep it as simple and clear as possible, using the universally-recognized medic alert symbol, but if you have color or wording preferences, etc., please send me your suggestions.

Susan (from Alabama) also indicated that she might try to make these on her embroidery machine. Susan, if you still want to do this, let me know and I won't pursue this. However, I can tell you that I did have an embroidery machine when I designed our karate school patches, and after investigating the costs, it was very clear to me that I couldn't do it for as low a price. By the time I had bought blank patches, digitized the design, bought the thread, and spent the 20-30 minutes it took to prep and stitch each patch, it wasn't cost effective at all for me to do it myself. It was going to cost me something like three times as much to make it worth my time. But you may be in a better situation than I was. Please PM me and let me know if you'd like to do this as a money-raiser for your own family, and I'll set my idea aside.

2. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Do you have any links to see what they look like?

3. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I would be interested in a couple of these myself.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you put an order in I'd be in for two :cwds:

5. ADHDiabetic Mom

Susan is checking out what it would take to make these. She has an embroidery machine and knows someone with a professional embroidery machine, so she's looking into it.

If she decides not to pursue it, I'll look into it further with the company I used before.

6. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

You may not want to use the exact words "medic alert" since that company probably has rights to that phrase. But Medical Alert should be ok and you definitely want to put Diabetes or Insulin Dependent Diabetes on it.

7. ADHDiabetic Mom

I haven't done an actual design yet, but I would definitely post a detailed design if we do this. Here's a link to what the medic alert symbol itself looks like.

http://z.about.com/d/foodallergies/1/G/b/-/-/-/medicalid.jpg

8. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

I would be interested in 2. Great idea.

9. susan

susan Approved members

I went to the US patent page and "medic alert" is trademarked for use on a bracelet or necklace..Since we aren't making either we are good..

10. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I'd be interested in a couple. This is a great idea.

11. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Count me in also, not sure how many. But I know of several others in my circle of friends/family that would use them also.

12. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Im interested also and can help spread the word in my area for others who would be interested.

13. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

US patents protect trademarks and patents against profit making ventures, therefore if you are producing patches for personal use only and no profit is expected, wanted, or gained, and in some cases the product you are producing does not defame the patent holder (by making the holder look bad, i.e.; homemade Nike shoes of poor quality making the brand look cheap), there should be no patent concerns.

14. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

I would like three, if you do this. Thanks.

15. brandygary

brandygary Approved members

I would be interested in a couple as well. :)

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'd be interested in one. :)

I used to buy patches from a company (for girl scouts) and they were less than $5 even for custom designed ones. What company have you looked at?

17. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I'd like 6. Thanks.

18. Noel

Noel Approved members

I'm in for 3.

19. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I see that patchesrus can do 100 2" patches for $1.55 each. Pricing does depend on the size you want, but I wouldn't think you'd want these very big - large enough to be seen in a medical situation but not big enough to be embarrassing to the kids.

20. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Count me in for 5.