- advertisement -

ELMA question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bibrahim, May 31, 2011.

1. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Help, we are using ELMA cream for the first time and are not sure how much to use or how long to wait to do the Dexcom site change. Do you then clean it off again with alcohol wipes? She put a thin layer on about 10 minutes ago and doens't feel like it is numbing up. How long do you wait?

2. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

The endo told us to wait anywhere between 10mins to 30mins..10mins don't to help my son, 15 to 30 mins does the trick..We just wipe it off with tissue paper..(don't really know if that is ok). I'am curious to see what other ones have to say about that..good luck:cwds:hope it works soon:cwds: We also use quite a good size amount.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

we do between 30 mins. to an hour and use a big blob... IF she lasts that long. She's allergic to the emla. Otherwise just 30 mins... a big blob...

4. bibrahim

do you put a dressing over it? I finally clued in to look at the package insert. I'm hoping you can do without the dressing but appreciate your feedback.

5. mommabear

Yes..we use the tegrederm tape (patch).

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we put it on and cover it for at least 30min.. usually longer, but no less than 30min.. I take the flexifix off and wipe the remaining emla off then clear with an alcohol swab.

7. bibrahim

she just did the dexcom change and is thrilled with the lack of pain! I should have tried this from the beginning. Oh well, we appreciate it more now:)

8. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

we put a glob on and cover it with a bandaid, then give it a wipe with a wet washcloth before inserting the new set... although we have to wait a full hour for the numbing to take effect

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have to wait an hour also. We use saran wrap over the site, the sticky type works best and I already have it in the house. If we are doing an arm site we cover the saran wrap with an ace wrap while we're waiting so it doesn't come off.

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I put about a dime sized blob on - too big to cover with a standard bandaid so I use an IV3000.

I always wait an hour - I wouldn't go a lot longer than that though. 30 mins is never enough for us.

11. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Following the indications, you need about a pea sized drop spread to about a quarter size, leave in place for 60 minutes.

So that's what we do (when we have 60 minutes to wait, which is most of the time). We wipe first with a dry cloth then an alcohol wipe to get it all off before poking.

But as E is getting older, I also think EMLA effect is as much psychological as real. We use it for pump site changes and in the few instances where we had a site go bad and therefore could not wait 60 minutes, we still put the cream on but it's only there as long as it takes me to get the new site ready, so no more than 5 minutes. That isn't long enough for it to have any effect, but he still claims it doesn't hurt. But he won't let us change a site without it (yet). :cwds:

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Another quarter size area cover with IV3000 and wait 30+ minutes family here (back when we used it)

13. mommabear

Glad to hear that:)

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We use a pea size and cover with J+J paper tape--cheap stuff, not frabric or watrproof. We leave on for at least an hour. Not a minute less or it doesn't work. I tried a half hour and she howled in pain. We only use it for MM sensor changes.

Oh, I wipe it off with a papre towel and rub with alcohol pad and let dry.

15. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

didn't know there were any alternatives except ice cubes, will look into this and see about alternating at least.

We got a generic emla once and it didn't work for us, found out it only had lidocaine and not prilocaine (?) so maybe this won't work for us, but it's worth a try.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think that's what LMX-4 is.

18. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

LMX4 is lidocaine only. I think that's why it's non-Rx (at least in the US).

19. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Warning - thread drift

Was recently in the hospital for possible GI issues and they gave me what they called a GI cocktail which she said consisted of prescription Maalox and lidocaine. I asked her to repeat, she confirmed, and said you better drink it quick or it'll make your tongue and lips numb.

I told her that out of all the things I had either done, or thought of doing, with lidocaine, drinking it was nowhere on that list.

I'm here to tell you, it tastes about as good as you would imagine. BLECH.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

LOL!!! Sorry, but that was really funny. Blech.