- advertisement -

Ellen - How's the gluten free-dom going?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by aklap, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

A question regarding advocacy at the grocery store.

I went to Western Beef, a new for our area large grocery store which primarily caters to our wonderful multicultural population. There were lots of choices of root vegetables and some different fruit, spices, etc.

However, there were essentially no packaged gluten free foods - no gf crackers, gf bread or gf cereals. I suggested to one of the managers the need to offer more of these products. He told me about the "health food" section , which I had already seen that had nothing. Do you provide a list to the store of products they should consider carrying?

Another question, re things like sardines in tomato sauce in cans - or other fish products in cans - are there specific ingredients to avoid or do you not buy if it doesn't state GF? What if it says : sardines, tomato sauce, salt. Would you buy it?

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

One item I purchased : http://www.charras.com/ENG/productos.htm#

Charras Tostada Chipolte. Ingredients listed are as follows: Corn flour, vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: cotton oil, palm oil or soybean oil) chipolte peppers, salt, citric acid, arbol, peppersk, onion, black pepper, garlic, FD&C yellow #5, FD&C yellow #6, and FD&C red #40.

OK to eat?

3. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Ellen,

Running short on time. I don't see anything in either of those foods that would be questionable.

If you do question something, it's best to contact the manufacturer and ask them if it's gluten free. You'll also want to ask them about their manufacturing practices. Do they clean the lines between gluten and GF products.

Here's my generic template that I use when contacting mfgs...

You could also add your request about a companies gluten free offerings. Some companies [like Kraft] do not have a list of GF foods since they disclose all forms of gluten.

Here's some more info on reading labels and companies that will disclose all forms of gluten [this makes it easy when reading labels!]

Reading Labels from Manufacturers - How to decipher a product's ingredient label.
    Companies with Exemplary Labeling Practices - A list of companies that will declare wheat, barley, rye and oats.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Whole Foods GF Prarie Bread - blech. I think I'll just give up bread entirely.

(However, their GF Nutmeal Raisin Cookies are good for a treat - but the main ingredient is butter:eek:)

5. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Kinnikinnick makes a really good white sandwhich bread. It needs to be toasted first. Makes a good grilled cheese. I think this would be the 1 bread I would eat if GF.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It's been close to 4 months since I went gluten free. I had asthma/allergic bronchitis (or something like that per the pulmonologist who was subsequently fired for being condescending) that started in August 2008 and pretty much (not entirely) resolved 3 months after I started eating gluten free. I'm not saying gluten free was solely responsible as I've continued to take allergy injections for nearly 2 years also. But I think there may be a connection.

Outside of that, I've dropped 10 excess pounds without trying to diet - simply by focusing on eating lots of fresh food and very little processed food. I feel overall happier, content, and mindful. So while I do not have celiac, it's been a very good choice for me to go gluten free.

I so appreciate everyone's posts on this forum, because it's eye opening and so very educational.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  7. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for giving us an update. I was recently wondering how you were doing.

I think those that go on the GF journey, end up learning more about the food the consume and themselves. We realize that the changes we've made are ultimately a better/healthier way to eat than when we were pre-GF. In our house, we eat far, far less processed foods. Much less carbs in general. Often times, ingredients in a food product don't go over the number of 5 or 6. We realize that the stuff we put in to our bodies play a HUGE role in how we feel. It shouldn't be that surprising, but often times it is.

I've been able to maintain a stable weight over the last 6 years [the time I've been GF] without dieting or much exercising [I am working increasing my exercise, but not for weight control purposes]. I've kept off about 40 of the pounds that I lost while I was sick.

Last month I did a Poll at celiacforums.com asking "if you could go back to NGF, would you?". Of course, it was assumed that it was safe for you to return to the NGF diet; celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, etc has been eradicated from your system.

26% [6 of 23] stated they would go NGF 100%
    52% [12 of 23] stated they would go NGF but keep still keep some GF-ness.
    21% [5 of 23] stated they'd still remain 100% GF

Many of the 52% said that they'd more than likely remain GF in their house, but use their NGF freedom for dining out possibilities.

I was somewhat surprised by the results. I didn't expect to have that many remain 100% GF. I didn't expect so many would retain certain GF elements in their "new lifestyle". I expected to have a higher percentage of 100% NGF. As I said above, I think it goes to show we learned some important lessons when we had to focus on what we eat.

Keep up the good work Ellen!! Please keep us updated.

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Ellen,

Do you have a breadmaker? If so, we've had great results with the Gluten-Free Pantry "Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix." It's easy as can be and makes the house smell delicious. My son and I feel like we're being pampered when we eat it, rather than punished.

I also tried a Bob's Red Mill mix and... blech... it tasted and smelled like "feet." (It did make good seasoned bread crumbs, however.)

I also recommend the Annalise Roberts cookbooks - especially the one for bread machines:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Classics-Annalise-Roberts/dp/1572840811
    http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Classics-Bread-Machine/dp/1572841044/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2

I hope you find something you feel is palatable, if not downright delicious!
    Eileen

10. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Just jumping in here Ellen, since you posted to us on the Type 1 bb - I did a wheat free diet (which is not exactly gluten free but shares most restrictions other than oats, spelt etc) for 6 months about 15 years ago due to migraines. I was a college student and it was so hard to find anything to eat. (Sadly I ate most everything on french fries, rice & tortillas were my friends - I did what fresh fruit and veggies I could) There were no natural stores nearby and I wouldn't have had the money to buy most anything anyway. I was migraine free for the last several months (and yes the weight melted off of me, but I was always hungry) before my Dr. said I was "cured" and I went back to eating as I did before.

The migraines returned. I deal with them various ways, including a homeopathic Dr.

Jump forward to last year and I tried the wheat free diet again out of desperation but I did not have the same results. Upon recent allergy testing, I have a mild allergy to yeast, not wheat, but 5 weeks of yeast free did little.

My homeopathic stated simply that I am a different person now and the same things may not work for me.

One thing that was different was the availability of GF/wheat free premade foods. Pancakes, bread, pasta, cake and others were things I only dreamt of a decade before!

One thing I did in place of pasta was cook a spaghetti squash and put sauce on it. It was wonderful! I enjoyed the corn based pastas but not the rice ones - too gummy and sticky and take forever to cook. Thai food was fairly easy to eat out.

I am interested in your GF/migraine journey. Please keep me posted if you find more links between these migraines and diets. I'll follow the posts of yours that I have time for.

Best of luck!

And this from my 5 year old who woke up before I could finish this...
    .:eek::cwds::):p;):D:

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I have a breadmaking machine with a gluten free setting still mint in box ;) ~3 years old. I have to figure out if having delicious bread is a good idea or not for me.

I have gluten free pasta in a box - probably a couple of months old.

I do like the squash - it's fun to make.

The migraines are less frequent.

Interesting incident the other night. We went to my brother's house for sabbath dinner and part of the tradition is to eat challah bread. A blessing is made, the bread is torn or cut and then passed around and everyone takes a piece. My sister-in-law (we have a great relationship btw) put a tiny piece of challah on my plate when I indicated to just pass it to my daughter. Maybe because I'm not diagnosed with celiac she thinks it's unimportant - or "a little won't matter". As an adult who chooses to be gluten free it's easy for me to blow off. However, I sat there thinking what that must feel like to a little kid.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Reviving this old thread...I couldn't remember how long I've been gluten free - wow three years plus. And now vegan for a year too.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

and do you feel better for it Ellen?
    I LOVE seeing your vegan foods on FB so I know they "look" delicious.. :cwds:

14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Yes feeling great.