- advertisement -

Elevated Thyroid

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mjtjmcouch, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Has anyone had a slightly elevated thyroid level show up in the yearly blood tests? I am wondering if you did, did you or your child end up on thyroid meds?:confused:

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When you say elevated thyroid, do you mean elevated thyroid stimulating hormone or elevated thyroid hormone? If thyroid hormones are elevated then that is hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) which I know very little about. But if TSH is high, that is a sign that the thyroid is underactive (hypothyroidism) and thyroid replacement hormone might be necessary.

Day to day treatment for hypothyroidism is very simple - a pill once a day. The most difficult part of it for me is that my thyroid function has been all over the place (mostly decreasing every couple of months) which has meant symptoms and frequent blood tests and dosage changes. But most people don't seem to get that so much, so I wouldn't worry about it. For many people they go onto one dosage and that stays static for many months/sometimes years. It isn't as much work as diabetes. ;)

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroditis 16 months prior to diabetes. I knew the odds of diabetes striking had just gone up significantly. Wish I'd been wrong. :(

4. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My sons's blood tests show he has antibodies right now but, no symptoms. So, he is tested twice a year instead of once a year.

I have Hashimoto's but, when I was on Synthroid I felt awful. I went vegetarian (mostly vegan) for a year and my blood tests were back in the normal level. I am lucky that if I avoid meat my numbers stay good. My Endo can't explain it.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes - these are two very different diseases - hypo and hyperthyroidism so let us know which one.

I had hyperthyroidism as a child (which is unusual) and had surgery to remove my thyroid. I then was hypo and take medication for it.

Hyper is more difficult to treat and may lead to making decisions on surgery or radioactive iodine to cure. Hypo is very simple to treat - just a pill a day and a blood test now and then to make sure the levels are where they should be.

6. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We get a "he's borderline hypo" (on the non-hypo side) almost every time he goes to the endo. He is 180 degrees opposite from hypo symptoms. This has been going on since Dx 4 years ago. No treatment Rx'd.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I had idiopathic subacute thyroiditis for at least a few months in 2008. It went away by itself- subacute thyroiditis generally does- and we're still watching because it often turns into hypothyroidism down the road, or occasionally comes back. I was not treated with any medication for it; the only medications warranted are for treatment of symptoms and my resting pulse didn't go above 100 (which is the treatment threshhold). I did feel terrible for a while, and fell down, and was dizzy, and had an extreme tremor, and lost a lot of weight, and had panic attacks. I sincerely hope I never have that experience again.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Every year - no meds yet.

9. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

TSH- i believe

I believe it's hypo. Dr said his level was 5.6 where 5 is on the high side of normal and if it showed up again, he'd probably start on meds. He is also the opposite of the symptoms described, hasn't gained significant weight, not overly tired,etc. His last A1c was pretty high, not sure if that could cause numbers to be out of whack.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco just has the elevated levels. They keep threatening meds, but it has been 6 years...

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We had one elevated TSH if I recall correctly. The second test was marginal.

During our discussion iodine deficiency come up as a possible cause of elevated TSH and we discussed that we do not use iodized salt in the home for any reason. We use kosher salt. I also believe that restaurants do not use iodized salt either. I introduced iodized salt on my son's food occasionally. This was after the first test. We will test again in 3 months to see where we are.

I'm not asserting that the iodized salt had any affect but if iodine is important enough to be added to salt then I think it should be considered if you don't use iodized salt - which we haven't in forever.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Iodine deficient hypothyroidism is a possibility, but it is very unusual in developed countries. Changing to iodized salt seems reasonable, but I just wanted to mention this to caution against people using iodine supplements (like tablets), because I have heard that they can hasten the process of autoimmune hypothyroidism, which is far more likely.

13. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son (and I) have Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism and take synthroid.

My son had thyroid antibodies when he was diagnosed with t1d. He started on Synthroid soon after. The endo explained that untreated hypothyroidisim could stunt his growth/brain development. My son's TSH was too high (10.2) at his last endo visit in November and the synthroid dosage was increased from 50 mcg to 75 mcg, we will have it checked again next month to make sure his levels are in the normal range.

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Wow. I feel dreadful by the time my TSH hits a 3.0. I feel best near 1.0 and that's where they wanted me during pregnancy.

15. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Me too! I try to stay in the 1-2 range.. I am so tired if it is higher.

Josh had just started showing syptoms and I was shocked at the 10+ TSH... He was sluggish and his skin was very dry. If I didn't have hypothyroidism, I might have overlooked this... Glad we asked for the blood work.