advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effects of Obamacare, costs skyrocket on insulin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jparr, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jparr

Jparr New Member

I just found out yesterday that the costs of a vial of insulin went from $10 to $50. For me with two diabetic children that will increase my monthly costs to around $200 from $40...something we hadn't planned for. We are still working with our insurance company to triple check this but so far they say it is accurate. Anyone else run into this? Tell me it isn't true.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

We pay the same this year as we did last year. No change for us.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Welcome Jparr - I see this is your first post...

What does your post content have to do with your thread title?

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

No change for us. This sounds more like an individual insurance issue than anything political. Just my two cents! :)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't know yet what my insurance will charge me for insulin this year but it hasn't been consistant from one year to the next yet.

By the way, the retail price of a vial of insulin in the United States has not been down to $10 in decades. Currently the cheapest vials of insulin, retail, from Walmart, are $25 (for Humulin N, Humulin R, and Humulin 70/30).

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Setting aside the specific numbers you quoted...

There is zero doubt that Obamacare will raise costs on all of us significantly and in a variety of ways - think in the tens of thousands of dollars when all is said and done. However, not every increase is a result of obamacare. The costs of a number of health care expenses were already rising. So just how do we know when something becomes more expensive how much of the increase was going to happen anyway and how much is due to the increased taxes, regulatory burden, or unseen consequences? At this point I would not look at specifics and look at a larger picture aided by the use of economic principles to separate out other costs. I am not qualified to that but there are plenty of articles on the web detailing plenty of costs. If insulin did increase from $10 to $50 and that were the only increase we could have all considered ourselves extremely extremely fortunate.

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I was upset when J's co-pay went from $5 to $25. $25 is a quintuple jump!

However, knowing that cash price for insulin is $100 per vial, and we get 4 vials per month at $25 I am very happy. I honestly don't know how we could afford to keep J alive if we had to pay cash prices. I know he wouldn't be pumping any longer. I hope that day never comes.

Things do increase over time. Everything does. I agree it's hard to know what is due to Obamacare and what is due to "natural causes".

8. Denise

Denise Approved members

ours went up significantly as well. It's very disappointing...we struggle as it is. It's not like there is a generic available. :(

9. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Is it possible that the copay is less for a different brand of insulin? We switched from Novalog to Humalog because the copay for Novalog was increasing, but Humalog wasn't. Just a thought.....

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Walmart's Humulin R, Humulin 70/30, and Humulin N are available at less than half the cost of any other insulin on the market ($25 for a thousand unit vial) ... I say that's a generic that's available (although I know it's not technically generic). My insurance does not encourage me to switch though... they'd rather pay $75 for Novolin R. I don't get it, but I pay less that way.

11. carbz

carbz Banned

Buy from Canada. I've bought a ten pack of humalog vials for $335 + shipping. They may have went up a little since I've done it. Insulin being life support should be on the Government anyway IMO. I remember humalog being about $25 a vial some years back. It's not realistic its costing them that much more to make it now then it was back then. It's a total scam if you ask me. The other option is R. It works the same only a longer peak time. I use it periodically. I don't have insurance (thanks to diabetes) so the less $ they [take] from me the better.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not sure what the "scam" is. There is nothing unusual about things costing more now than they did in the past. Do you pay the same price for a gallon of milk now than you did 2 years ago? No, milk costs more now. Is that a scam?

As the cost of living increases each year, so does the cost of doing business. Companies need to adjust their prices to match the cost of running a business. It is a pretty simple concept.

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Honestly, I think some of you have been fortunate to only pay $5 for a vial.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed. I'm just thankful that if our out of pocket price increases drastically that at least we have other options to fall back on (ie. we are on Novolog right now, we can always switch to Humalog). In addition we are given the option to go through mail-order pharmacies for scrips and supplies which lowers the cost. For us, it is a major savings to do this.

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We haven't seen any price increase, though the formulary changed and we're now on Humalog instead of Novolog.

16. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Same here. Novolog co-pay would have been out of this world, but Humalog is $25 for a 3-month supply. After deductible of course...

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

Certainly not attributable to Obamacare but our out of pocket changed dramatically since our plan changed. We used to pay $50 for 4 vials of Novolog. Now we pay $160. If we used Humalog we would only have to pay $10 for the 4 vials. That's enough to at least ask the endo about it.

By the way, the OP created their account the same say as their first and only post so I suspect a troll but it did start a conversation.

18. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Our costs have been rising steadily for years, long before President Obama took office. Our son may have been precluded from health care insurance prior to the Affordable Health Care act based on pre-existing condition of diabetes. I for one am thrilled he can get insurance coverage.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm expecting this will be our next change. The cost of Novo increased a bit, but not enough to say wow, we need to switch to Humalog, but I have a feeling sooner rather than later it will be happening.

20. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

If there were no government intervention and people paid cash rather than using insurance for what it should not be used for the price of the insulin would we way way lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.