- advertisement -

Eeek! My first low!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by LexieGirl96, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LexieGirl96

LexieGirl96 Approved members

Yes, I have officially experienced my first low. And it is not something I want to repeat!

It was a couple nights ago, not very late. I was the only one downstairs, and I noticed I was starting to feel funny. I had a headache, felt fuzzybrained..My heart was racing, and I was starting to get a tingly feeling in my body.

I thought I'd check myself just for the heck of it. Turns our I was about 31! I haven't been this low..ever. I've only been high (I haven't had a very long diagnosis, though.) So I was a little freaked out.

I told my mom, and she said that I could have a coke. A REAL coke. I had to admit I was pretty ecstatic about that. Half an hour later, I was about 80. And if I took lantus then and there I'd be low again at 3am. (I tend to have a slight drop in the middle of the night) So..I got to have to BlueBell Vanilla icecream!

So the snacks were pretty great...But I never want to feel like that again!

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I think my first low was in the 50s, but I can't remember exactly which number.

Lexie, I hate to say it, but you WILL feel like that again...many times, sometimes for an even longer period of time. It just happens. I hate it too. It really makes you want to strive to never be low again, but you also have to keep in mind that being high is not the answer.

At first, I didn't have many symptoms of highs. I guess I was used to the feeling, but now I get all nauseated and sooo very thirsty. Also, you can feel different with different types of lows. I have some where I'm just shaky, some where I'm kind of jerky and talk mechanically, and there's this new symptom that I hate worse than any of them: It feels like everything inside my head is just swirling around and falling apart. It's so weird.

Oh, and another thing. If you drink a lot of Diet drinks before you have a regular one again, they'll taste funny. The only ones I can tolerate is Grape soda and Sprite. The first time I had a reg Dr Pepper after I was diagnosed for a low, I had to go back and get a juice!! It just tasted so bitter ;).
    (and I also love BlueBell ice cream...it's the best :D).

3. josmom

josmom Approved members

sorry to break it to u, but being low will happpen a lot! but the longer that u have diabetes, the sooner that u will be able to tell that ur low. good luck!

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Lows are no fun=( I'm normally pretty put together when I'm low but tonight I was lying on the floor laughing at my moms pj's:rolleyes::cool: hopfully you will be able to sense when your dropping to, that is very helpful because you can catch some lows before you get to 30, the first I was in the 30's I couldn't talk so I'd say you did a pretty good job;) the lowest I've ever been is 29:eek:

Sadly it does happen, but some times are worse than others, i feel really awful at 32 but most people don't hit that too often.

5. Aeckman

Aeckman New Member

I know your feeling. When I was dignosed I was 1350 and my first low was 28.I now get around 2 lows a day. For the first 10 or so lows it can be kinda scary but once you can start feeling them around 70 it gets to be a peice of cake. One thing I have troubles with is over correcting when Im low. I tend to want to keep eating when im low cuz I hate the feeling. Trust me it wont get you up any faster and can cause highs. Try to limit yourself to 20gms of carbs and you will be good.

6. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

idk wat my first low was, but wenever i get low, i usually get really hungry and, like you said, a little tingly, my eyes get a little out of focus too, which sometimes causes a headache. this i don't mind so much, but other times i just feel sick and don't wanna eat. hopefully you'll be able to tell wen ur high or low soon, that way u can give urself the insulin or eat b4 ur bg gets any lower/higher.

7. babykat

babykat Approved members

8. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

Don't you just hate lows? i mean, i love getting to have snacks that are higher in carbs like that, but the low feeling is horrible! once when ihad a low at school, i got a absolutley horrific headache, and all i can say is ugh. the only suggestion i can give you for dealing with lows is try to spot them as soon as you can, and the symptoms aren't as bad. congrats on the Coke and ice cream!:p

9. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

Its good you have finally experienced it and have treated it! Now you will know what to do next time :) Sadly it will happen again but that's just part of what we have to deal with!

My first low was while i was still in hospital, the nurse asked if i was okay (I was sweating and shaking a little bit) i said yeah im just tired as i had no idea what was going on, half an hour later when i had no idea what was going on the nurse decided to test my BGL and once she saw i was low it was treated.

Everyone first low is something that we NEVER forget lol!