- advertisement -

Edgepark Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swellman, Jan 25, 2013.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

I just found out we now have to go through Edgepark for Pods and Dexcom which, in this age of lowering insurance costs, going through a 3rd party makes no sense to me. Anywhoo, anyone have any advice/info/feedback on going through Edgepark for their supplies?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I can't comment about Edgepark, but we use Medco and when there was a big problem with Animas and the insurance companies, and then the shortage of supplies we had no problems getting adequate supplies...with coverage. I know for us it was a savings of $200 every 90 days to go 3rd party.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Edgepark has been fine for us...we've used them for 2 years. You can do your ordering online and their customer service number is quite accessible. Hope it works out well for you!

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

When we had Aetna, I was able to order directly thru Insulet for PODs. When we switched to United, we had to start ordering thru Edgepark. We've had no problems. They've always been helpful and prompt.

5. swellman

Thank you, and everyone else, this is exactly our situation so I was a tad nervous when Insulet said "Oh, no.". She didn't talk bad about United just that they could no longer service our prescription.

Any chance you or yours is in the generic pharma business?

6. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

We've had wonderful service from Edgepark and they have even saved us $$$ by coordinating the coding #s to meet our deductible earlier. We now get all of our supplies (except Apidra, glucagon and Lantus) through them.

7. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My only knowledge of edge park is from another list serve where older diabetic have discovered over billing and having to pay up front and insurance reimbursing them. But those are people on Medicare. Private insurance might work better.

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We had a rough start with Edgepark. Make sure they have your correct info and if you don't hear from them within a week, call and check.

I gave them J's insurance info, and they put it in the computer wrong. Never called to tell me when they couldn't get the insurance to run. If I hadn't called back, I guess I never would have heard from them again.

Then they promised me I would hear from them before Friday of that week, and again, they never called. After I posted on my blog, Facebook, and this site about these issues, I got a call from a Regional Sales Manager and he took care of things. It still took a while, but this time the delay was on the doctor's office, not on Edgepark.

I'm hoping that things will go more smoothly from now on.

9. kath9dav

kath9dav New Member

We've been Edgepark customers for years and it is mostly smooth sailing, until we tried to get our new Dexcom G4 CGM. It was mostly a disaster with them never returning calls and other order problems. We finally got what we needed but were very disappointed in their customer service the past few months. We started asking for supervisors whenever they answered the phone and that finally yielded results. They do have very competitive prices, however.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

that was our experience as well. They really needed a fire lit under them, by me, to keep the process rolling. I felt that if I wasn't calling they weren't in any rush to get things done and when I was watching the process happen on my end through insurance and I could see the approval as done I had to finally call them like a week later to say "hey, can we order now? ". I really felt like the initial process was a little discombobulated, too many people involved maybe?

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I wonder if they just aren't making a good profit margin on the G4, so don't make it a priority to fill.

12. swellman

Or it's an inventory issue - if Dexcom is short then the second party suppliers are certainly short.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'm not sure it was either, because once I finally did get the approval done and did get the right person on the phone the order came quickly. It was the preliminary stuff that seemed bogged down with them. They "lost" paperwork, it had to be resent, etc etc.

I haven't had to reorder yet, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it will go more smoothly from here on in.

Oh one more thing - they quoted me the wrong prices. I did have to make my OOP payment first to edgepark (Minimed always billed after) and then when I got my EOB from the insurance the non-covered amount was almost $200 different, so I'm waiting to see what Edgepark does. That ticked me off quite a bit.

14. kath9dav

kath9dav New Member

It had nothing to do with supplies. It was them answering their phones in the "CGM" department, as they called it. Then, they auto shipped me the wrong sensors, despite never being on autoship for sensors. It was a mess requiring about 12 phone calls.

15. Jdsgirl

Jdsgirl New Member

We have been with Edgepark for about 4 years and are now having to switch. They informed me the other day that Medicare and apparently Tricare patients will only be able to get strips for the Nipro Diagnostics TRUEresult and nothing else. This disappoints me a great deal because my son has the Omni Pod and has to use Freestyle strips. Plus his doctor wants him to use the Precision Xtra Ketone meter to get a more accurate number for any ketones he may have. Does anyone recommend any other supply companies out there that take Tricare Prime? My husband is Active duty military.

16. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We just started pump shopping and have BCBS and have been working with Edgepark for 4 days. :)

Christopher's policy has a high deductible and he didn't initially qualify for the Healthy Child program they have, so the rep at Edgepark filled out a deductible waiver request, sent it in and told me he would call in a week with the results. This was Tuesday. He called me at 4:55pm today (Friday) to let me know he had just gotten a response and that the waiver was approved, saving us $3,500. Whew!

I am still in shock that he called so late in the workday. He said he wanted us to not worry about it over the weekend. So the paperwork is started so we can get the Omnipod. Woohoo!!

17. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

My husband is active duty military and we have used edgepark for years as well. They have told us the same thing as you. I have had a hard time findings the freestyle strips but have recently began using American Diabetes Wholesale for the strips and have not had a problem yet. I am going back to Insulet for the pods because edgepark has been giving me a hard time with those as well. Funny enough they have no problems sending me his dexcom sensors. I have been quite annoyed!!!

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

When we were united it was great, switched to Cigna and their contracted rate was way high. That was the only reason we left them for Foundation Care pharmacy.

I loved being able to go online and see when our last order was, Dexcom was drop shipped and very quick, seem less really from ordering directly.