- advertisement -

Eating while high?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samson, Jul 6, 2016.

1. samson

samson Approved members

Do you try to delay your kids' eating when they're running really high -- like high 300s high? And if you do try to delay eating for an hour or two, how do you work that out with school or care schedules? What are your strategies for making the kids feel like they're not being too restricted?

2. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We try a few things depending on circumstances. Increase activity, eat a no carb or low carb snack (turkey roll ups, chic salad, jello-sf, boiled egg, etc), but if at a mealtime in a setting where we need to join in right then, we simply test, correct, try to prebolus 20-30 min out for at least half the carbs if uncertain of what he will eat, and then roll with it. He almost always comes into range 1-2 hours out. If you are pumping, try to head off the high before the meal with an increased basal...but we all know it's not always that easy! To make things worse, in the high 300s your T1D is probably feeling hungry anyhow. If a high carb dessert awaits, we will hold off until we see things come down and heading down under 200. Hope that helps!

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I try to have them delay eating even if it is a lower high and especially for high highs. It is also good to eat slow foods when high and skip the fast foods. For school lunch my daughter packs both fast and slow foods and only eats the slow ones when high. I don't want her to feel restricted so try to offer plenty of enjoyable slow foods. Once I even offered to pick her up at lunch time and take her out for pizza when she had a bad day of highs.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I like it when my daughter makes this choice, but I will not force it. She's 13 and she knows it's best to wait (or have a no carb snack), and makes this choice reliably 8 times out of 10, but sometimes something else is more important than waiting for the high to come down first.

5. samson

samson Approved members

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

When Emma was younger and when she isn't wearing a CGM, we try to check 30 minutes before dinner and get a correction going if she needs one. Now with the Dex, she'll be alerted over 170 so she can start a bolus or have one going if need be - otherwise, she doses when we sit down. She often doses 2-3 times as she gets seconds or thirds.

7. glko

glko Approved members

Yes, we try to delay eating or do no carb foods if BG is over 200. Eating carbs when BG is high already just adds fuel to the fire and makes those stubborn highs even higher. My 12 yr old understands this and has not pushed back on it. If he is hungry we will offer him eggs, sugar free jello, turkey and cheese, or other low carb snacks while waiting for BG to come down. If it is around the meal we also push back the whole family's meal, it is not fair to ask him to watch us eat while his BG is high and he is feeling lousy already. With the CGM it is easier to catch these things before they are too high so doesn't happen very often.