- advertisement -

Eating when high?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MichS, May 27, 2010.

1. MichS

MichS Approved members

Hi everyone,

I've read a bunch time times (here and blogs, and other stuff) that if someone tests at lunch and they are high, they'll correct and wait for b.s. to come down before eating. We never do this. Was this something I missed? I'm sure it isn't "best practice" but if Noah is high, his pump will correct, and add the carbs for his meal.

Why would you wait? I'm not judging, I just want to understand the logic.

Thanks!
    Michelle

2. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

JOrdan doesn't wait. My reasoning is the same as yours. :D
    Maybe someone else will chime in and explain.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Depending on the situation, I wait to come down a bit if I'm high before a meal. The reasoning is that if you eat carbs when you're blood sugar is already high, you'll go even higher before the insulin kicks in. The amount of time spent high then becomes much longer. If it's not convenient to wait, I at least try to start with the lower carb foods to give the correction a chance to kick in.

Obviously every family works differently and it's an individual decision about whether to delay eating. If I remember, I try to test 30 minutes before I eat so that it's less of an issue.

4. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

I've never made Andrew wait - we add his correction insulin to whatever we are giving to cover carbs (he is MDI). I would think that if you waited, that could mean waiting an hour or two for the correction insulin to kick in - that's a long to wait when you are hungry!!

5. MichS

MichS Approved members

I guess it makes sense, that if you are already high, you eat and then you are adding to the spike and therefore high for a longer time. I wish we had tight enough control for that to make a difference:cwds:. But if that is the reason it makes sense to me. For now, we probably won't make him wait. He refuses every low carb snack - very much a carb lover. :eek:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It depends on so many things - but generally speaking it is preferable to go into a meal with as close to range a bg as possible so that the inulin can really do its job.

When we set things like I:C ratios and correction factors they are set to work at normal insulin requirement levels. When my DD's bg is very high - over 280ish, she needs more insulin to both cover her food and to correct that starting high. Therefore the usual meal bolus and correction probably won't be enough to get her down and keep her there.

But as always, YDMV ;)

7. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I/he correct/s the high BG and try and pre-bolus as much as possible, as J tends to be less hungry when high. But waiting is sometimes not an option, like at school. He has only 20 minutes to eat as it is, waiting to "come down" would eat up all his time.

8. MichS

MichS Approved members

Another good point. I never thought of that either. Thank you! This place is so informative! Somedays I think I know it all :eek: and then I come here with a simple question and learn so much more. That explains why when Noah starts the day with a high blood sugar he is high most of the day, or until I get really serious and take care of it!:cwds:

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We don't usually wait (longer than the usual 10 minute lead time) but Sarah makes a good point.

(P.S. I bet the title of this thread brought back memories for some people... ;) :p )

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Now we are able to get our son to cooperate a bit more with waiting before eating if his BG is high. Not always though.
    Before it was more difficult to get him to understand why he had to wait, so we just let him eat, and aggressively bolus and use higher temp basals. And hope for the best.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Hey, Dude ... I don't know what you're talking about :cool:

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

If I'm hungry, I eat and take insulin, if I'm high I add a correction.

13. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i never, ever, eat if i'm above 150. i'll bolus and wait. that way i'm on a smooth glide path rather than pouring on insulin, miscalculating carbs then diving low and rebounding high. for me at least, it avoids a vicious cycle that i haven't had to confront in years.
    i'm also convinced it's a big reason my numbers are solid most of the time and my future is bright.
    but ... to each his own. there are many different ways to achieve the goal we all want.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, if our kids never ate any time they were over 150 they'd never eat.

In any case, especially in the morning, if Ian's high he does wait at least a good 30 min after I give a correction to give him his meal bolus and eat. Now that we're sensoring I'll have a much better sense of how that works for him. The biggest issue for us is that when he's high all he wants is to eat. It's such a catch 22.

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I try not to eat if I'm above 110. Generally I'll give the correction and the food bolus, and as soon as I'm below 110 or dropping fast on the CGM I start to eat.

Obviously if I'm not getting any lower, I eventually have to eat. ;) With the CGM I catch more highs sooner, so I can make sure I'm back in range by the time I want to eat.

I just find that doing it this way keeps my BGs generally flatter. YDMV. :cwds:

ETA: Also, it depends on the particular day, and how it fits in with my routine. I work D around my life - I don't work my life around D. If I'm going out at 11AM and I'm 180, I'll still eat before I leave. It's just really if I'm at home and not desperately hungry, I wait until my BG is good.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Hate that!

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We don't wait. We give the correction + whatever insulin covers the carbs for the meal.

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Munchies!! I got munchies!!!!!;)

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We will wait a little while now that Steven is older and can understand better. When he was little and his BG was high he would be starving and really couldnt wait to eat. If its breakfast though I will feed him even if high so he can eat and catch the bus.

20. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

We may make different food choices when Emma or I are high, but since the cause of a high isn't always obvious, we just eat. Besides, eating and bolusing will help prevent a hard "crash."