- advertisement -

Eating all day.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Jul 9, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Ever since summer break started, I've had a really hard time getting Hana's numbers in to range from breakfast time on. Partly because she's home and not in school but also because she has swim practice from 6 am to 8:30 am every morning. This is very intense swimming. 6000 meters. More than 3 miles. They come out famished and pretty much snack all day. She'll come out of practice with a decent number - 130-150 but its all downhill from there. She will stay in the 200 all day. Just now at 6 pm am I seeing the arrow down on the CGM and she's finally in the 100s. I've tried running high temp basals and extended boluses for the afternoon so she can snack but its not touching the numbers. It really bothers me seeing the steady arrow at 200! Or she will start to come down and shoot right back up when she eats again. With the amount they are swimming, obviously she needs the food. Just wondering if here is anything else I can try as far as the insulin???

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

Take a look at this article...it might give you some ideas as to what to do.

http://www.diabetes.ca/files/riddell--final.pdf

My daughter was a competitive skater and we found the best advice came from a sport nutritionist....good luck!