advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy to say, hard to do

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by simom, Mar 5, 2010.

1. simom

simom Approved members

Endo yesterday. Dad took him because I had a work meeting I could not miss. Stepped out of meeting to phone conference with Dad and Endo. To my surprise, A1C up, not down. Not what I had expected given the numbers we'd been seeing.

Feeling very emotional about this - feeling like we are failing him. Also very frustrated that the level of effort expended does not seem to correspond with results.

Turns out I'm great at saying that A1C is just a number until it's the number for MY child . . . . . :eek:

Thanks for listening.

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but from what our endo tells us, while A1C is a good indicator, if you've been seeing good numbers, in a tight range, that's more important overall.

I mean, you can have a low A1C, and still see daily ranges from 60-400... I'd rather know our control was good, and fluctuation was minimal, than have a "good" A1C and be all over the place.

I hope that makes sense, I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Very good point above, and I agree.

Anyway, Barb sorry about the A1C, it is hard not to feel bad about it going up. But don't let it stop you from continuing to work hard. All that hard work DOES pay off eventually.

My Uncle had a saying, "Somedays you get the bear and somedays the bear gets you".

Keep working hard and next time you will get the bear :cwds:

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive read that A1Cs are considerably higher during the winter months and that makes sense to me. For those of us that live in the northern climates our kids dont get outside to exercise. They arent getting as much Vitamin D from the sun and of course the viruses that some of our kids get weekly during the winter. Im sorry that you were disapointed in your sons A1C but please dont feel like your failing him. You love him and try the best way you know how to keep his blood sugars in range. Being a parent is hard, being a parent and pancreas is alot more so.

5. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I know this feeling exactly!! There are so many more emotions involved when it's your own child. :cwds:

Hang in there! You are not failing your child - not by any stretch. Failing would be not caring about the rise in A1c. Or not putting in all the work you have.

And I'll echo what Becky said - being a pancreas is hard!!

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

HUGS!!! I know what you mean. Only recently did I go to see the endo without thinking I was going into the principal's office and get some detention time.:rolleyes:

That said, sometimes we have to step back and reconsider a different way of handling things. Hopefully you guys have some strategy on where to go from now.

The A1c is all we have to see "efforts" but it doesn't reflect them. Did this make sense?

Have a good scream (or an ice-cream;)), and hopefully tomorrow you'll feel renewed strength to fight this beast.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

An A1C that's gone up when you're expecting down is just an indication that you've got more work to do. Any idea about any time of day that there may be "hidden" highs happening?

Anyhow, I know how much we look forward to and/or dread those A1Cs (depending on how we've been doing in the months before the apt.). It IS hard - hope you get it figured out soon. Keep plugging away.. :cwds:

8. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

I read a science journal yesterday that stated this exact same thing. If you are testing every 3-4 hours and are keeping it within your target 60-80% the time, you are doing GREAT work for a child that age. I ALSO read that getting really low A1cs on a consistent basis means you may be experiencing too many hypoglycemic episodes, which can lead to hypo unawareness, which none of us wants for their children. AND you can have a low A1c and still have wild swings, which is VERY bad as it creates free radicals...so aim for tight control on a consistent basis and think of the A1c as just one of those numbers to aim for. Chin up! Hope tomorrow is better for you.

9. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Yea, I don't get the A1C- Like you said the low number could be from having to many hypo episodes, yet, the lower the number, the better the parent?
    I don't get it.
    What's the point of CGMS then?

10. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

I hate endo appointments for just that reason. I always feel like I am 12 getting a bad mommy grade.

11. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I'm sorry that happened- I know it's frustrating.

Once at the endo my DD's A1C came back MUCH higher than I expected. When I questioned it, the endo showed me a chart of what her average blood sugars would be at that A1C... and that chart was much higher than what we had been seeing. I pointed that out (log book and monitor in hand) and they redid the A1C... the second one was about three whole points lower! :rolleyes: It might be worth having it double checked if your bg numbers really don't seem to add up with the A1C results.

12. Toni

Toni Banned

If you do not already do overnight testing, I would do a midnight, 2am, 3:30am test. Have other spouse get up at 6am and get that one. If you are doing overnight testing, I would hazard a guess and think maybe he is having Dawn Phenom. I know I do not often stay up past 3a.m. So if she had a rise, I would suspect the hours 3am to 6am (if not wearing Dex).

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well in this case at least the a1c is useful - it is telling you something you didn't expect.

I notice your sig said that your child sometimes uses a CGMS - because you own one? If so, I'd put that back on if you can. Sounds like a good time to pull it out - or maybe get one if you don't own one.

14. simom

simom Approved members

Thanks all. As always- tomorrow is another day and things are feeling brighter. Can't be around my guy for long without a smile.

We think we've nailed it down to post-prandials, esp. breakfast. Overnights are mostly good - lows more of a problem than highs.

Where we struggle is that when we raise carb coverage at breakfast, we see lows before lunch. However, it does not seem to be a basal issue, as we do not see lows on low-carb breakfast days. Errghh.

We'll keep on working, but if I had a receipt for diabetes, I would definitely return it - ha!

Again - thanks for your support and ideas.
    B