- advertisement -

Easy kid friendly vegetarian recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Exchange' started by coni, Apr 6, 2010.

1. coni

coni Approved members

Do you have any that are your favorites? I'm mainly looking for lunch and dinner ideas.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We do a lot of vegetarian meals. My kids LOVE beans and rice. Dried beans soaked overnight in water then cooked in the crockpot all day. Served over brown rice with cheese and sour cream.

I can post some more recipes later. Black Bean soup is Carson's favorite.

We also have a lentil and rice recipe my family loves.

Spaghetti and marinara is a good one kid friendly.

We sometimes do pizza potatoes. A baked potato topped w/pizza or marinara sauce and cheese.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Don't know if you have that over there, but surely you do.
    For every recipe calling for ground beef, substitute soy fibers (the smaller kind). They look like dried ground beef. Best to soak them a bit before cooking, and they are a bit sweet tasting, but excellent as meat substitute.

We make a lot of curried (lightly) potatoes or basmati rice, orange lentils and carrots (add a light cream or light coconut milk, add some curry and season to taste).

Souffles - instead of just keeping them at cheese, add broccoli.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

The soy fibers are called TVP over here (texturized vegetable protein). I used to use it a lot (they are not gluten free here) before celiac. Our family really liked it in dishes like chili or spaghetti sauce.

5. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

My daughter loves cheese lasagna (made with only half a box of noodles to lower carbs), three bean chili, polenta with mushrooms or tomatoes on top, and oven roasted spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce on top.

We became vegetarians last Fall and have found that it is really very easy to eliminate meat from your diet. We have also found that her BG is so much more stable since we made the change. She also takes less insulin every day. It has been a great change for us.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thanks, Brenda.:) I couldn't figure out what the English word was. I kept imagining you all thinking "Why would we eat cloth?":eek: (soy fibers = material = cloth:eek:...Never mind)