- advertisement -

Dual Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

My 11 yo son was diagnosis with T1 Diabetes and Graves Disease last week. No family history of T1D but he had systemic juvenile rheumatoid arthritis 6 years ago. I understand that once someone had one autoimmune disease they can be more likely to have others.

He is so miserable and very insulin sensitve. All he talks about is being hungry.

What no carb snacks do any of you recommend?

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge about presenting with Graves and T1D.

Thanks

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

There is a parent here who has a child with both JRA and type 1 (not sure about thyroid issues) - but I cannot remember his user name. Ok...I found it - Brensdad: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/member.php?u=154 You can send him a private message through this site - he might not notice your original post since it didn't have JRA in the title.

I'm sorry you had to join us. A lot of times the child has lost weight so they are indeed very hungry and need to eat so it is not unusual if they want to eat more than normal for a bit. Hopefully your endo team can help you match up the insulin to the amount of food -rather than restricting food.

It is possible to get humalog diluted so that it is easier to give smaller doses (so that 1 unit in the syringe is really half a unit - for example). You can also get syringes with quarter unit markings. We did this for several months after my son was diagnosed because he was super sensitive to insulin!

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He should be allowed to eat what he wants and you give him the necessary insulin. Many lose weight prior to diagnosis and the body is truly starving for food. Please speak to the endo to allow more food.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Welcome, but sorry you had to join in, it's a tough transition particularly with multiple issues.

I well remember those early days of starvation, it's very normal as his body regulates to having fuel again. I did rely a LOT on low or no carb food in those early days. He'd want to eat seconds after a big snack or meal, and we were not wanting to do another shot, not sure if we had his ratios right, etc, so free foods were something that really helped for him.

Favorites for my son were slim jims/beef jerky, pork skins, ham chunks, meat in any form, pepperoni, nuts, pickles, olives, sf jello, SF root beer poured over a little frozen cool whip, ham slices spread with cream cheese and rolled around a pickle sliver and cheese....I'm sure there are more but those are popping in my head now.

Do a search on "free foods" and you'll find several old threads with more ideas. The starvation feeling will last a few weeks then should go away and he'll eat more normally, covering food with insulin. At first my son wanted to eat almost non stop so free foods were important for him too. It'll get better, promise!

5. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the help.

My son could easily gain 40 pounds and it would be great. He currently before realizing he was sick ate 2500 plus calories a day. He has always been tall and skinny and is now He is 5 ft 3inches and weighs maybe 80 pounds weight.

I have a call into the endocrinologist about his numbers.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was dx with diabetes when I was 17, and when I was 20, I lost 22 pounds and was thyrotoxic. We thought it was Graves', but it turned out not to be. I did contact some folks on here whose kids have both and one person who has one kid with each. If you do a search on the forums you'll find them.

If the Graves' disease isn't definite or if it turns out to be another type of thyrotoxicity, I know a lot about all those diagnostic procedures :rolleyes: and you are welcome to send me a PM.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

You can add eggs to the free food list, hard boiled, deviled, scrambled, egg salad, etc, even with bacon or sausage. Good luck!

8. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

When we were first Dxd, my son was 4 and wanted to eat me out of house and home. I cant imagine a teenager! Our Endo said NO FOOD other than meals and scheduled snacks with carb limits. I get the reason is that they are honeymooning and too much insulin to cover carbs can cause lows..however I struggled with low carb/no carb for awhile and finally said screw it and just covered whatever he wanted with insulin by figuring out his carb ratio based off his sliding scale they gave me (So I didnt overcorrect since he was eating more often)

I say let him eat. Once he has a good week or so of catching his body up he'll slow down and settle into a normal eating habits again - they all do.