- advertisement -

duaghter going to diabetes camp - any tips you can give me?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tammy82, Jun 6, 2013.

1. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter will be going to Camp Najeda in 3 weeks. This will be here first time at camp and Im nervous but I know she will have a great time from all of the things I have heard & read about it. For those that have sent their kids to D camp is there anything else I should pack for her other then normal things on the list. Nothing else was mentioned other than no electronics, do they allow board games (non-electronic), coloring books, etc... Do they encourage the kids to keep in touch other kids and should I have her bring a small note pad so she can give her email or address (it would be nice for her to keep in touch with anyone she gets friendly with). Also any tips on writing letters, should I do this and send ahead of time & do they allow care packages - if so what do you normally put in them? Years ago when I sent my older daughter to girl scout camp would send the packages and she told me she wouldn't get them until the end so not sure what to do. Any other tips or advice would be great.

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I would not send any toys or games (unless she has a stuffed animal she just has to have) cause the camp will keep them way to busy with all the wonderful camp stuff. When my grandson went we discovered to send old clothes, not the nice new ones, cause then we could just throw out the disgustingly dirty socks and shoes and pants and.....
    The camp will send a list of things to bring.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The camp my kids goes to allows one way emails...for a fee:eek: I have found that it is not worth it to email every day as they don't always get these emails in a timely fashion. Email the camp and ask if they allow care packages, if they do, they LOVE getting them! One girl in the cabin last year received a package for her to share. In it were pencils, note pads and little doo dads from Oriental Trading. Needless to say, she was very popular:DBut also find out when they hand them out. I heard of one camp that handed it out on the last day when the kid was checking out so she wasn't able to enjoy anything.

This year, I'm going to print out a sheet of paper with my daughters address/email and cut them into squares for her to give out. We found that a lot of times there were errors in writing the email addresses. Or, I plan on sending the gift box this year too and may just take a sticker with her info and put it into the notebook. As for letter writing, contact the camp and see what the policy is. Ours is perfectly fine with it, they just want you to get the timing right so letters aren't missed.

Do not bring anything that is a favorite, especially a stuffed animal. My girls went to a non-d camp for school and their cabin had bed bugs. Needless to say, EVERYTHING went straight to the dump! Stuff will get trashed from playing hard, activities etc. We usually send stuff that is on the cusp of being outgrown.

She will have a great time!

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The camp my daughter goes to also charges for this. The reason is that campers were getting really inappropriate emails from peers. When they went to a paid system, it almost eliminated it.

5. Beach bum

Ya, I figured. IMO, just go back to good old pen and paper. Those sending inappropriate emails are either to lazy or dumb to write a letter:)

LOL, just did some investigating on Oriental Trading to see what goodies they have. Thought it might be pushing the envelope to send some syringe pens!:D

6. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

thanks ladies!

Beachbum thanks for all of your suggestions. I will definitely do a print out with my daughter's info that is such a great idea! I like the idea of making a care package for her to share with everyone (there will be 8 kids to a cabin) so Im sure I can come up with something.

I know I guess I will give them a call regarding the timing of the mail. Like I mentioned my older daughter also didn't get her pkg until the end in girl scout camp and want to be sure they wont do that here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I imagine each is a little different, but here in MI you are not to send any electronics what so ever. They will be taken away and given back when you pick your child up. I think care packages are ok, but no food. However you have to make sure you mail it in time. And last year the camp here had an issue with the email program they use. You can send your child a letter via email and it will be printed out to give to them (they can't respond). Last year it didn't work for some reason and most kids never got the emails. My poor dd was upset as I only sent one snail mail letter, all the rest were emails but she didn't get them.

As far as toys, no toys, just a special stuffed animal, some paper and pens/pencils to write letters and maybe a book or two for rest time.

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I wont rely on the email I think a letter is much nicer.

That would be pretty funny with the syringe pens but then again it has been so long since we did shots I don't know if my daughter would get it.

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I did not event think of a package the first year and DD was the only one who did not get one (major guilt trip). The next year I sent her gum, a pre-teen magazine with her favourite teen idols in it, sticky-tack so they could decorate the cabin with the pictures and another stick of sunscreen for her face.

10. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Also, something to keep yourself busy. When my daughter went to camp I found I had too much time to reflect about her diabetes!! Get some good sleep and try not to think about carbs and insulin and BG checks!

11. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I sent my daughter off with a few "surprise" notes packed away in her suitcase.....you will know best if it will bring a smile or cause any problems with being homesick.
    She seemed to really enjoy it. For example, it was a horse riding camp so I stuck a note away in a pair of socks telling her I hope her first horseback ride was fun. I also packed some "surprise stationary" in case she wanted to to send me or her friends a letter. A journal and special pen for writing whatever...etc etc. I also tucked away a special book and book night light for her to find, then I didn't have to worry she wouldn't get a package but would continue to find "surprise" notes and things through the week.
    Suzy R

12. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Camp Nejeda is a great place! My son has been going since his dx in 2008 and this year has a job there a Jr. Counselor. Do send board games as the kids get a quiet time in their cabin daily and will play them. They also do bunk note messaging which is where you can email them and the write back to you, the camp scans in the kids letters and emails it to you. It's nice because your daughter will get "mail" daily if you email her. Expect to hear from her a few times but then they have so much fun that they forget to write back. You can also subscribe to bunk notes and the camp uploads photos of the campers daily that you can look at and save to your computer or buy prints. Make sure you pack sunscreen and bug spray for her too. Also send her with two of the same color tshirts because they do twin day and the cabins compete to see who has the most twins. This way she and a friend can be twins. I always sent my son with cheap tshirts with sharpie markers and they kids always signed the shirts making a great souvenir to take home. I'm sure she will have a wonderful time!

13. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Socks are great in care packages. Usually send a bunch so the cabin mates can have some too!

14. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Wow thanks for the great ideas ladies!

Pauleen Im glad camp had a great impact on your son. About the shirts, can they be any style but need to be in the same color or specifically t-shirts? thanks for letting me know about that. Great idea also for the autographed shirts too. I will be sure to buy some t-shirts this weekend.

suzyr, I love the note idea, I will have to do that! I will definitely make some funny notes to stuff in her clothes.

15. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD bought her t-shirt with the camp logo at the Tuck shop that the fellow campers and councelors autographed. She still wears the thing when she exercises and it's 7 years old.

16. Beach bum

Just remembered, I got the girls an "autograph pillow case" to bring to camp. Got it at Michaels Crafts. It came with fabric markers and had a camp theme.

17. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

It can be any type shirt, they usually go for same colors but can be any theme that creates a "twin" look. The kids really get creative with it. I'm sure your daughter will have a blast! One more piece of advice.....enjoy your Free time while she's away and do something just for you. Don't worry too much about her, they will take great care of her - and don't be surprised when she doesn't want to come home at the end of her session:)

18. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

thanks again for the info