- advertisement -

DS wants to get a job...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Feb 9, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Vince wants to get a job, he will be 15 soon. I am just not sure of something...

When we submit the job application, are we supposed to disclose his "disability"? I mean, I honestly do not look at it like that, but what are we supposed to do? Do we tell them up front? Or wait until he is hired - will they think we were deceitful if we don't tell them upfront? Do I / we educate his employer (once hired)? I just don't know what the right thing to do is?

Can anyone guide me please?

Thanks!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't have him mention diabetes at all in the job interview. It won't be the responsibility of anyone at the job to be sure he takes care of his diabetes -- he has to do this himself.

If the employer needs to know something about the diabetes, your son could tell them, but otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Getting a job is joining the big world and I wouldn't assume that co-workers would help with non-emergency medical issues.

Any informing/educating should be done by your son, not you. The Americans with disability act doesn't have the punch in the working world like it does in the public school environment. I don't think they are required to make accommodations as the public schools must do.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm looking forward to hearing the responses as my teen will be here soon too.

You do not have to legally disclose anything about T1 on a job application.

There is usually some sort of question along the lines of "Do you have any physical limitations that would affect your ability to perform this job?" I would answer No.

I'm not sure how we will handle this once she has a job. I can only hope she proves herself quickly and the employer doesn't see it as a big hindrance.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Here is some information that may help:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html

Personally, I would not mention it prior to getting the job. However, once hired I think it would be important for my coworkers to know at least the basics, for example, the signs/symptoms of a low bg and how to assist in treating it, if the need arose.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. Lance

Lance Approved members

I don't have a T1 in this position, but as someone who has done my share of hiring employees over the years.... I would say that this is definitely not a topic to bring up in an initial interview. Whenever someone brings up a topic like this in a first meeting, my attitude as an employer was "Wow - this will probably impact his/her ability to do the job if they are bringing it up now." Diabetes is only a small part of his life, and magnifying it to the employer too early make is look like it is huge. He should sell himself as a solid "potential" employee first - personal health issues can be discussed later if needed.

6. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

No reason to disclose his diabetes provided he can perform the essential functions of the job...and he should be able to almost anything he wants to do!

7. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I would not mentioned it.

And it should not effect the work. I have seen my dd march, compete, play basketball, musicals, symphonies, and be a normal kid.

The only impact is if the diabetes has chronic lows and hypo- unaware.

Pack some sugar treats in his pocket.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

First, there is no "you" in this scenario. :cwds: It's his job. What does HE want to do? This is going to be one of those times, probably the first of many, where you have to step out of the picture. He fills out the application, he has the interview, he gets the job, he decides what he wants to disclose. Like someone else said, when he is employed it will be his responsibility to handle his diabetes, not anyone else.

9. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

My daughter got her first job at 14 at Culvers. She did not put it on the application nor tell them during the interview. She did however mention it to them after starting though just in case. She works as a housekeeper at a hotel now and didnt want to tell anyone at first. Her manager noticed that all she drank was water or diet soda and asked her about it one day so she told him that she is T1. He was so interested in it and wanted to learn everything, which I thought was great!

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Precisely.

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Coming from an Human Resources background, I 100% with this.
    Also, as Michelle said, it should be his decision what he tells his employer and co-workers.

12. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Ditto Michelle's advice. And if he's mature enough to want a job, he would probably resent any interference on your part.

13. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

So true. But a teen who wants to be honest and upfront may not realize that potential employers do not have the right to personal/medical information about them. Informing a kid about their legal rights and then letting them go from there isn't interference.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You are not legally obligated to disclose. However, I would leave it up to him and what he wants to do. I personally would respect a potential employee (and I have been the manager in a hiring position) who disclosed something like this to me ahead of time, but then I'm in the business of rehab, so stuff like that doesn't phase me.

I'd let him make this decision, I'd give him the pros and cons to disclosing and then leave the choice to him.

Once he's hired, I would encourage him (depending on the situation) to share with at least some of his coworkers that he trusts so they can be aware of any problems.

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh 100% . :)

16. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I hired a t1 once

and I don't think she disclosed it in the interview - but it wouldn't have mattered. After she started she asked if she could do an inservice with all the staff (it was a summer job and very labour intensive at times) so they were aware of how to help her if she got into trouble.i.e a low that she couldn't treat herself.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would disclose after hiring, during the training process, for an entry level job.

18. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

This is what I think too. After he's hired, for his safety, he should just mention it just in case of an emergency so people would know what to do.

19. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks to everyone for your responses and insight, I really appreciate everything everyone has to say.

Like some have said, once he is hired, it's always good to have a few people know what to do in an emergency situation, I will let him handle that when the time comes!

I will keep you all posted once he gets a job! :D

Thank you all again, so very much.

Kathy

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Why don't you post on the teen forum asking them "once you have a job, how did you manage the balancing work and diabetes?" You might get some good pointers from the teens over there.