- advertisement -

DS diagnosed at age 2.5 in September 2012

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thornbird, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

DS was diagnosed in Sept 2012 after excessive thirst and urination for a couple days. Took him to his ped who tested for ketones in his urine and checked his BG, then sent us straight to the hospital.

It's been a hard 9 months but getting better.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. crg2010

crg2010 Approved members

I just wanted to say hi and share that we had a very similar experience.

My son was diagnosed in October 2012 at 2 years old after we mentioned excessive thirst to his pediatrician at his regular check up.

It feels like both a blessing and a curse to be diagnosed so young. It is hard for me even sometimes still this far along into it seeing him go through some of things he has to and knowing he has a long road ahead of him. He'll never remember life any other way, though.

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son was 2 1/2 also -

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 also. He kept getting up at night out of his bed and going to the sink to get water. I actually put him back in bed three times the night before his diagnosis. I had that mommy instinct that something was wrong - that was in 2009.

Fast forward to 2013. My son is now 6 1/2 and is doing great. We have only had ONE hospitalization since diagnosis and that was because of a bad stomach bug when he was three that we just couldn't get a handle on. His overall health is good. He goes to school and is very active. My son plays soccer, tball, basketball, and now is going to try flag football.

Keep learning all you can! Your son can live an active life even with type 1. My husband is also a type one who is a city councilman in our town. :)
    :)