- advertisement -

Dry Skin- suggestions for DD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmyMCGS, Nov 6, 2010.

1. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I have horribly dry skin... it starts cracking and bleeding as soon as the weather cools off in the fall. For me, a daily routine of heavy cream and a specific brand of unscented products (my skin is also sensitive) is the norm.

Now it appears that DD is developing the same thing on her hands and face. Hers isn't cracking yet, but there are dry patches and some of the patches on her face appear red. Obviously, I know that diabetes can affect this.

I've had her start applying a lotion to her hands, but what about her face? Should I get her an adult facial moisturizer or is there something else she should use? She's like me, has a reaction to scented products. I'm not sure how much of this is diabetes and how much is just her skin behaving just like mine.

Any suggestions or products to recommend?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Is she getting enough Vitamin D in her diet?

I like Vanicream for my kid with eczema. You may need to contact her doctor to ask about a mild steroid cream for the bad spots.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I like aquaphor for the kids on their faces when they get super dry. on my hands which bleed and crack I like nutrogena norwegian formula, but as long as I make sure I apply regular old keri lotion multiple times a day I am fine.

I'm not sure what you mean diabetes can affect this though...you mean the diabetes makes her dry skin worse?

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My older son is like this. Try to keep showers short and not too hot. We use Cetaphil bar soap in the shower or Dove sensitive skin body wash. The Dove body wash seems to work well. We use Aveeno fragrance free lotion also. We use Aquaphor on the cracked spots at night.
    We have to use everything fragrance free. We have used Cetaphil lotion moisturizer or Cerave lotion on face. Both you can get from Walgreens or places like that.
    Humidifiers are run in our house when it gets dry from the winter heat.

5. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

Yes- diabetes can affect the skin in many people. The ADA site says 33% of diabetics will experience some kind of skin-related symptoms.

Here's one article that explains a bit:
    http://www.brighthub.com/health/diabetes/articles/87614.aspx

I stick with almost all unscented Aveeno products, myself- they seem to work the best for most of my skin. My hands still crack and bleed no matter what I've tried, though. My DH jokes that I have tried every cream on the market. I'm just hoping that DD's skin doesn't become as bad as mine. I've seen creams especially made for diabetics-- that's kind of why I posted here, wondering if someone had tried them and if they were any better than regular skin creams.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

7. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Most of the creams and lotions out there I dont like. Have you tried using the Sween cream to help with all the dryness. Works wonderful and great!! You can get this at Walgreens you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter, its not a prescription. http://www.sweenstore.com/sweencream1.html (new packaging shown on this site)

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ahh..I deleted actually until I could do a little more research on it... ;)

9. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I'll be happy to hear what you find! I have been around Type II Diabetics (family members & at work) for many years and always knew that skin problems were a concern for them. I just naturally assumed that applied to my daughter, as well. It might very well just be a case of my mom-brain blaming the diabetes for everything. Maybe it's just my "severe dry skin" genes that are affecting her after all. :)

At any rate, advice for dry skin solutions are always welcome in my world. I'm pretty much sold on Aveeno and Vaseline at this point for myself, but if there are better things that might work for her, I'm all ears.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

We use Eucerin on the hands in the colder weather and he always uses Dove soap for sensitive skin in the shower. We haven't had any issues with the face as of yet - that may be due to him using the Dove soap.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

bag balm has always worked well for me. I get the dry cracking skin, especially in the winter.

12. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

Recently we tried NIVEA ESSENTIALLY ENRICHED body lotion for Very Dry, Rough Skin. Its very thick and leaves a light sheen on your skin but it works wonders,
    ds has "Chicken skin", forgot the scientific name for it, his skin is dry and sometimes he developes a lot of little bumps on it, also he gets dry patches on his elbows, so this cream helps a lot.
    It does have a light scent to it, so im not sure if it would be ok for very sensitive skin.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have always had problems with extreme dry skin on my hands (excessive handwashing) but more so when I was younger, to the point that they were covered in cracks and bleeding. I had cream on prescription for quite a while, but then switched to E45 cream which worked wonders, and can be used on the face.

14. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

the best otc is eucerin...you can get a giant tub of the walmart brand for like $5 vs. their actual brand for over 2x that price ...the next step would be to get a rx for a mild steriod cream...wich is actually mixed with the eucerin

other things that can help we find is using an oil sparangly especially right out of a bath ..dosent have to be baby oil ..i like to use olive oil or grape seed oil

my daughter has 2 types of excema one is the usual red patches she gets in a flair up the other i can never remember the name but its all over her body and basicly is just excessivly dry skin all the time her skin gets an almost bumpy texture to it siimmilar to when you start to get goosebumps and then drys out more and more and more if we dont use a steriod cream
    (we use these for faces to its all unscented)

for hands and feet put it on at bed time ..lots of it ..and then put socks or gloves over and go to bed (for you d child check first and then a few hours later it should be soaked in enough you can use a finger without having to do some heavy washing or use alcohol)

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The Sween Cream that Michelle R. posted about is the best that we've found.

16. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We have the same thing going on with us! Yesterday was the worst! Both of my hands were cracking and bleeding. Ashlee has very dry patches on her knuckles that are painful. Poor thing, she complains how much it burns, esp when i put cream on it. I just started using lanolin (since i had it left over from when i had my baby). I put it on her before and after her bath and before and after she washes her hands then throughout the day. I've been doing it before to give a barrier b/c the water dries it out. I've also been using gold bond. Im not sensitive to creams, but our hands are much better today! Good luck!!

17. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

I would try aloe vera gel ..... it is a all natural product that doesnt leave a residue and also reduces inflamation. You can get is from the chemist and is isnt expensive

18. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

My hands were cracking and bleeding also, until I started using Amlactin cream. My dermatologist recommended it. It is truly amazing. You only put it on twice a day (I use it after showering in the am and before bed), and the cracking and bleeding has completely stopped. The skin feels soft and smooth. I cannot recommend it enough.

I've seen it at Walgreens, Jewel, and they have bigger bottles at Costco also.