- advertisement -

Drop in basal Need?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShelbysMom, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

So not too long ago, I posted about how we were in one of the glorious phases where everything (almost) seemed to be working......BS were predictable, better than normal for us and all was well with the world. That actually has been the case for nearly a month.....until now.
    What used to always be highs (with us adjusting basals upward) turned into pretty good numbers, then even better numbers and then almost non-diabetic numbers and now low numbers.

I noticed for the past several days that when her IOB from meals wore off she was hovering in the 80-100 range a great majority of the time. That's lower than typical for her. Today, I picked her up early from school because she was having a stubborn low and a bad headache. The nurse had already been working for an hour to get her up in range and had given 5 glucose tabs, a 4 pack of PB crackers and a juice box. I picked her up and she was down to 67, requiring more glucose tabs, another juice box. I check 20 mins later and shes at 61. Gel, tabs and juice. I know we've given at least 80 carbs. Oh yeah and I actually had her disconnect her pump at the school before I got to her......

WTHeck. Has anyone seen their child's basal needs just drop off like this? I find this a bit scary.

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

This has happened to Tyler in the past, have had to lower lantus (and or basal rates) by 2 - 4 units. It seems as though this works for a bit and then before I know it, we are raising them all again. I chalk it up to diabetes being diabetes and keeping us on our toes...I am sure there is some more scientific explanation though;)

3. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Oh yes - welcome to my D world - less than a month ago his basals went up to 20u per day and were barely keeping him in range ... we then had a week of fantastic numbers - you would swear he was non-d ... then two insane weeks of yoyoing up and down with lows causing highs and highs causing lows while I dropped the basal right back. We are now back down to 9u a day and still having lows but running fairly steady BGs. It won't last - I give it a week and we'll be heading back up to 20u. It's driving me loopy:cwds:

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Could be a seasonal change. Warmer temps may require less insulin. My daughter is sensitive to this. She always needs a change around daylight savings time - in the Fall her insulin goes up and in the Spring it goes down. I'm not quite sure if its the temp or the daylight or her activity level (or all 3!) but it changes her insulin needs. Hope that helps!

5. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

yep, sounds like us. I chalk it up to the weather identity crisis here in Alberta, it's the only variable with with similar unruliness... :rolleyes:

6. JNL

JNL Approved members

Wheeewy., I thought my sons body was in an all out revolt. We took the pump off on sunday. No insulin for 3 days and was running around 100. You could set your watch to it,, Then wednesday whamo, 330 for about 7 hours. Couldnt budge it. Finnaly got it under control thursday afternoon but not before hitting 50. What a rollercoaster ride.

7. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I hear you! Isn't today supposed to be the first day of spring?? Someone forgot to tell the Alberta weather gods.

8. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

haha yeah instead we got a 20cm snowfall warning.... I still have a couple feet of snow in my front yard! we'll have to give this 'spring' thing a try again next month :rolleyes:
    ahh well, at least the temperatures have been warmer and the sun's been out :)

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Has it warmed up where you live? Any extra activity? That's my best guess :)

10. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Yes it has warmed up considerably.....reaching low 80's during the day. That must be it! Backed down the basals by about 5% on Sat and that helped....but I did have to back down another time frame even more on Sunday (early afternoon). Numbers are still pretty good. The true test will be today at school.