- advertisement -

Driving when high?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KRenee, May 24, 2013.

1. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

How high is too high to drive? I always hear the cautions about driving when low, but what about being high?

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I'm glad you asked this. I worry about road rage when high. My dd gets very irritated by everything when high. Personally no driving above 200.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is a tricky situation in my own home. I tried to set parameters (90 with no IOB and 200) but truth be told, his rage and highs vary so so much. He can be 200 post meal and just fine, driving is not an issue, he can be 180 and RAGEFUL if he's rising and/or stuck high for days. For him personally it's a situational decision and not based on a number. Does it scare me? Yes, as I'm more comfortable with set parameters.

Lots and lots of conversations related to being in tune with his anger and understanding that if he's feeling at all angry, he needs to not drive. He's doing well with this, and understands that he's not trustworthy when he's got a combo of high and emotions.

Not much of an answer, but another perspective. I'd try to set some parameters but I'd also have discussions about using good judgment. It also depends on the kid, for my teen highs do cause some pretty unstable emotions, and he's had counseling for it and is learning to rein it in.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I know personally that I'm not very symptamatic when I'm high, so if I need to drive I will... Over 300 I prefer not to, but that doesn't happen much! but if I'm with other drivers and I'm over 250 I'd let one of them drive.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Granted mine is just learning how to drive and doesn't yet have a permit, but I think it's too much to put on someone with Type 1 to have to be in a narrow range to drive. Obviously they shouldn't drive when low but unless one is sick and high or more, so high that they are sick then I think it's silly to put a high bg limit out there.

So called "normal" people drive all the time when they are not at their 100% best. This is like telling moms not to drive with bratty kids in the back seat, or anyone with a headache or a tooth ache to stay put until they feel better.

Living with type 1 exacts enough from our kids, we should lay this on them as well???:confused:

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

My endo has said 90-300 is a good range for driving. My vision gets blurry over 400 so I will avoid driving if I am that high. 300-400 depends on how I feel and if I think my reaction time or judgement is impaired.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I wish all teens had yhis kind of advice! and adults too, for that matter. :D Road rage exists among everyone, not just people with diabetes. :)

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We don't have set parameters but go situation to situation. There have been times when she's gone low, 35, and been back up to 120 but was still feeling awful. Other times when she was 250 and felt fine. She's pretty good at letting me know if she's off in either direction then she either calls me or texts and we figure it out.

I've also made sure she knows that if she's off in either direction and feels she can't drive to just call either myself or her dad and we'll come get her. Which we have done a few times. We'll either go together and one of us will drive her car back, or one of us will pick her up and we'll go back for her car later.

9. mocha

mocha Approved members

If I need to be somewhere and I'm high, I correct and just go. If I can wait a bit, I try to wait to make sure that I am coming down. If I'm feeling irritable on top of being high, I try to do something calming before going (like listening to calming music, stretching, deep breaths, kitty snuggles). If there's no time and I have to leave now (because of my awesome timing skills), then it's music I can either sing along to in the car or music that is calming but not irritating (for some reason, calming music in the car makes me more irritable :rolleyes:).