- advertisement -

Driving/Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LJM, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

This has happened twice. Anyone experience anything similar?

DS has just recently received his permit and is driving with us in the car more regularly. Test before driving; he is fine. Get home and 2 times now he is 50ish (both short trips)...

Coincidence? Or is the intense concentration driving his BG down? I would have guessed he would go higher from nerves. But this looks more like Math tests where we have seen him go low from lots of focus/attention.

So we will test a lot, I guess and arm each car with skittles.

2. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm interested in this question as well. Our son will start drivers ed in April......

3. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Here in Australia we are told to not drive under five. I'm an adult diabetic and I drop while driving so even though I always test before going somewhere, if there is any IOB then I 'feed that' as well as 10 -15 extra carbs unless I have just finished eating. If I need to I correct later.

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

If this seems to be a pattern (not sure yet, but testing will show)---looks as we may have to feed driving for now. Until things change again.... Thank you!

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We went through lows until confidence grew. Then it all evened out. Try to find a way to demonstrate how he might react if surprised by being possible pulled over. I did a surprise lights and siren with my daughter on a wide back road her sugars on CGM were 145 within seconds of lights and siren down to 20. Test showed 40. She then understood why she need glucose tabs in arms reach.

6. LJM

LJM Approved members

Thanks Desiree! Glucose tabs in reach now in all vehicles! I am so glad that others have seen this as well. He really has to focus here on the So Cal roads....

I was lucky to learn in the Midwest with miles of road with little traffic control and few cars except tractors:)
    :)

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

As the one with T1 driving I keep a jar of tabs or a bag of candy in all my cars all the time. When I am driving if I even think I am drifting low I just eat some sugar, a tab or some candy. I do not worry about the highs. You can always correct a high later you can not correct an accident due to a low. Ali

8. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Madison started driving in October. And YES, she has the same pattern after school (mornings are fine). She tests before she starts the car and texts me the number - it's usually in the mid 100's and when she gets home she is below 100. School is, at most, a 10 minute drive. She now temps and always has a juice handy. I'm thinking we need to change her afternoon basal to account for the driving stress??

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

I think DS would rather treat with food than a temp basal. But is Madison starting softball season? DS is just starting Spring baseball and the practices may also be contributing to the afternoon drops. However, I am still seeing drops on weekend days and mornings (whenever he drives, so it seems to be the driving). Will ask endo tomorrow and see what they say.