- advertisement -

Driver's License

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PixieStix, Jul 7, 2015.

1. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Son went to get driving permit today--had been told by others to just answer "no" to medical question regarding did he have any conditions that could make him become unconscious but didn't feel truthful. He took the permit test and passed, but since he disclosed he has diabetes he can't get permit until physician signs off on form and will require every time he renews license. Not sure why this hit me so hard but it was the first time I cried over diabetes in a long time and have felt sad all day over it. Husband says I am overthinking it but I feel like this puts a big X on his license and any little incident will put his license at risk. Guess it just resurfaced all the feeling of sadness and anger that his life is constantly affected by diabetes no matter how well he takes care of himself. Son actually doesn't seem to care or I guess doesn't know any different so more my problem than his.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I totally see your perspective but I also really respect your son for being honest. It signals to me he is not in denial about what a serious disease this can be, and that he will test/check Dex and have glucose if he's low before driving. It's a good thing, he's a good kid. As frustrating as it is (and I get it), I think you should be proud of him.

3. PixieStix

The thing is he does a great job taking care of himself--checks BGs, wears a CGM, tries hard to keep BGs in range. I certainly want him to be safe driving for himself and all others--it's just the burden of having a form filled out, having a symbol on his license, having to be different and prove himself worthy of the privilege to drive when there's a million other people who the thought of them driving a car towards me is scary because they seem incompetent, dangerous, crazy...but no restraints put on them. Just having a "I Hate This Stupid Disease Day" I guess, haven't had these feelings creep in for a long time.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I wasn't trying to minimize your frustration, sorry. Just saying that he sounds like an awesome kid.

5. PixieStix

Thanks, jenm999--he is an awesome kid! I didn't take your comments negatively, just sad reminder today that I wish he didn't have diabetes & can't fix it...

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

If it makes you feel better.....there is a police officer I know very well who says that he made many (thousands) traffic stops and someone having diabetes has never been a problem, grounds to take a license away. The only d relates thing is if the person is called in as reckless driver and when stopped is driving crazy because they are low (this is very rare). Even then they won't take the license away, they get them the medical help they need and send them on their way. Having d does not make his license at risk, in my opinion. A little hassle to get the dr note, but otherwise he will be fine.

I understand that it is mostly emotional for you....these things hit us like a ton of bricks sometimes. Sometimes I'm completely blind sighted. I'm sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

We went to driving school and answered, honestly and legally, yes to diabetes. We had to fill out forms as well to get him approved for the driving portion of the school. There were hoops to be sure but when it was all over he was approved and also, based on the endo's recommendations, he was removed from the medical review portion. So, there will be no further restrictions or hoops to jump through - no big X. I guess it differs by state. I can't support lying about the condition because it does have consequences. I would pat your son on the head and tell him he made a difficult but correct decision.