advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drink juice boxes while asleep?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof1CWDinohio, Aug 29, 2012.

1. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Hi everyone.

I don't post often, but I lurk fairly regularly. I love this board and learn a lot from you all. I decided to post because I am awake in the middle of the night after treating a low and cannot get back to sleep.

Woke about 45 mins ago to check DS; he was 58. Got a juice box and, as usual, he sucked it empty within 10 seconds while remaining completely asleep. He does this often, and he will have no memory of this in the morning. I was just wondering how common this is. How do you treat middle-of-the-night lows? Do your kids stay completely asleep?

(BTW, he came back up. He went to bed a little above 200. Per our endo's instructions, we did not treat the 200. People sometimes ask me why I check him every night. This is why. What if I hadn't caught the 58?)

Thanks for your replies!

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Glad he came back up. DS never wakes up from a juice box or a Danimals smoothie. I can break up a soft cookie and he chews in his sleep, too.

3. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My three year old sucks them down in his sleep too, and has since his diagnosis at two. In fact if you even touch his lips with your finger when he is sleeping, he starts trying to "drink" that!

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We're 6 years in and my DD has never slept through a drink. Ever. She has to be fully awake, lights on, sitting up every time. Every. Time. And, if we don't provide a steady stream of encouragement to eat and random conversation to distract her, she'll have a meltdown. Poor thing hates waking up. :( However, she does go back to sleep immediately afterwards and often doesn't remember that she had been awake. So, it's extra time in the middle of the night for us but it seems to work for her.

5. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

My son is mostly like this but without the meltdown.

6. minniem

minniem Approved members

I can treat my son with juice and he will sleep through it all. He has no memory of it in the morning. Sometimes I worry that as an adult it will be so hard for him to wake up and do this all the time. It's one thing I am happy that I can do for him, I would rather it be me up all night than him. He needs his sleep as a growing boy. :)

But it's the middle of the night lows making me hate this disease even more.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Now that she's older she is more likely to wake up, at least partially, when I give her a juice and say the usual whispered, "drink this please" but as a little one she could sleep drink with the best of them. ;)

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Same here - he usually wakes up before I do my check if he is low enough to need a juice. When he was little, I would just whisper - drink and swallow and he would do just that until it was gone.

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yup...was doing this myself last night...he sleeps through it every time!

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

As I sat awake drinking juice last night, knowing that I would be tired at work today, I wished I could treat lows in my sleep. ;) I think it's great that they can do that for now.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma never wakes up from a juice in the night.

That said, it looks like you are on the pump. If he went to bed over 200 and was 58, then your basal rates overnight are NOT RIGHT and need to be changed. If you take a reading 4 hours after eating and then every 2 hours overnight, you'll get a good idea of what basal rate is wrong and needs to be changed. I'm not saying you don't need to check overnight (coming from the mom whose daughter has had 2 wakeup seizures in 8 weeks), but getting the basal right will make the checks more routine - the ups and downs aren't good for them and he shouldn't be dropping that much overnight without a correction.

12. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

ALWAYS sleeps through the juice. And sometimes the fruit snacks. I feed her like a little bird and tell her when to chew and swallow. She opens her mouth when she's ready for more. And really doesn't remember much in the morning. They are sweet!

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For whatever reason, it is almost impossible to get Jack to drink juice in his sleep, but he will chew tabs automatically.

14. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

We're still fairly new at this, but I still wake up or stay up till midnight, check bg's and if low give a fruit snack, milk/graham cracker, or just milk.

I do have to wake my 12 yr old son, but once I say "your blood sugar is low" he's semi awake and eating/drinking. On occasion he'll say thank you and then go back to "sawing logs". :D

Our endo said "no" to juice or sodas, so I never thought about giving juice at night until I talked with other moms at the diabetes camp last weekend. Now, I'm keeping juice boxes on hand for lows.

15. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

If Drinking Juice Boxes in Your Sleep was an Olympic sport, DD would have a multitude of Gold medals!

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Said "no" to juice? :confused: What did he suggest you use for lows at night?

17. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Your daughter would have some tough competition from my son:p. He has never woken from drinking a juice or having a go-gurt in the middle of the night. The only time he wakes up when I am treating a low, is if it's almost time for him to wake anyways.

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We use tabs for lows, and my son will sit up in bed, eat them, drink some milk, if needed, and go back to sleep, and won't remember a thing in the morning.

19. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Thanks for everyone's replies. It is interesting to see the range of what happens at night. I do worry that DS never wakes up at night for his lows. I hope this changes as he grows older and takes more responsibility overnight. For now, we'll carry on. He does feel his lows during the day, so I'll be happy for the small things.

Re the above post, I agree that his basals have seemed off for the last few weeks. We have been keeping a closer eye on him recently; his sugars go crazy every time he begins school (today was first day) or finishes school in the spring. We're checking every night and sometimes it's been the opposite...he is quite high instead of low. Hard to get a handle on it sometimes. I made a minor adjustment today but don't want to do anything more drastic while he settles into his new routine.

20. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

He generally sleeps through juice boxes and sometimes peanut butter crackers. Every once and a while, he will wake up and go to the bathroom. I would say it is pretty common. Glad his bs came up.