- advertisement -

Drawing Humalog from pen cartridge with a syringe?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Sep 26, 2008.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I think that I saw a post on this once before, but am just wondering if there would be any problems to doing this? We tried the Luxura pen, but didn't really like it. We still have 4 pen cartidges in the fridge to use and I just picked up more at the pharmacy (I'd asked for a refill of the vials, but they gave me the pen cartridges instead). Now I'm debating whether I should return them or try to use them without the pen. We always end up throwing out a bunch that is left in the vial each month. It would definitely save some $$ because we get 5 pen cartridges for the same copay as 2 vials of Humalog. We also wouldn't have to waste as much either. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? Any advice would be great.

2. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We do this all the time with both Lantus penfills and Humalog. No big deal. You don't inject air into the penfills though, just draw the insulin out. Sometimes it helps to use the syringe cap to push on the stopper to help push the insulin out.

3. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I do this with the Lantus Solostar pens with no difficulties. It really does make it so much cheaper than vials.

4. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

We've been able to use the pen cartridge for Humulin 70/30 and draw the insulin out with a regular syringe. No problemo.

5. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

W've been drawing up Kyle's Levemir this way for a while now. We haven't had any problems. He uses the Luxura pen at school, it never occured to me the price difference as well as less waste by using it for his night time and morning Humalog dose as well. I might just try that if I can get his endo to give me another pen..my insurance wouldn't cover the actual pen, just the refills. Go figure huh?

6. aidensmom

Just wondering -- why would you not inject the air?

7. Schpoodle's Dad

You could, but there's no reason to. The stopper on the end of the penfill moves so there's no vacuum created when you draw out the insulin.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Actually, if you aren't careful, you can actually push the plunger out the other end if you inject air.

I don't for the first draw, but when I draw the second time, and I'm drawing for the pump (100 units at a time), I carefully inject air and push the plunger back. It does still have a slight vacuum otherwise.

Definitely do the cartridges instead of the vial

9. Schpoodle's Dad

Instead of injecting air, you can also just use the cap of the syringe and push the plunger in. We draw up 100 units this way when we are diluting the insulin. Also, the plunger usually only sticks at the start. Once it is moving, we do not notice an issue.

10. CButler

CButler Approved members

I am doing this with the remaining pens I have with no problem. Just curious, it is the leakback you didn't like?

11. Schpoodle's Dad

We used the Novopen JR for a while and never liked it because of the leakback, but ...

we use the penfills because we waste a lot less insulin that way.

12. aidensmom

Yes, I guess it was the leakback. We tried using the pen when we went on vacation and had really high BGs -- not necessarily b/c of the pen, but we just prefer using the syringes. I think it's probably b/c I can see it and don't have many leakback troubles. We keep saying we are going to give the pen another try, but just haven't yet. We may learn to like it yet.

13. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

We did it when I was giving Deirdre those outrageous amounts of Levemir. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and arthritis in my right hand, so pushing 30 units of Levemir out a pen was a two-handed job. Deirdre likes her injections in her arm, and I needed a third hand to pinch up her skin. So I went to the syringe. Love it: it's so much easier to use on large doses!

14. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We just started pumping and ordered pen refills to draw out of and fill the catridges in the pump instead of regular bottles of insulin because it is so much cheaper for us to do that with how our copay is set up and how much they dispense. We have been doing it for the last couple of weeks with no problems. :)

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

All we've ever used is the pen cartridges. They are smaller and thus more portable, you don't waste as much unused insulin at month's end, and you don't need to inject air. As far as I'm concerned they're the way to go.

16. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I also use syringes with my insulin pens at times.

I have the Lantus and Humalog pens, which work fine...however, the Humalog pen does not do 1/2 units which I need sometimes. So the syringes come into play then.

The only thing I have noticed, is if I draw insulin out of the pen with the syringe, but the next time I want to use the pen directly...you may need to dial up and push a few times before any insulin comes out again(whew...I am on a roll with these long run-on sentences!). I am not sure why it does that.

17. kyles_mom

Hi Danielle...the Humapen Luxura doses in 1/2 units if that's what you need. We use this pen for Kyle when he needs dosing at school as it's easier for him to administer to himself. Usually though, we prefer the syringe.

18. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I am so glad I read this thread. I just want to make sure I am understanding it right. Kaleb will be going on the pump in Oct. Are you saying instead of going to insulin vials you continue to use the pens and just draw it out? Since dx all he has ever used it the pen. I am not sure how much vials are but I pay about $45.00 for 1500 units of Novolog. I have just never heard of this before, but if it works I am willing to give it a go.

19. kyles_mom

Yes, you draw it up just like the vials except you don't need to displace any air first.