- advertisement -

Draw the insulin in a restaurant?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BozziesMom, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

This may seem like a goofy question, but we're going to be at a restaurant for the first time since dx. So do you draw the syringe right at the table and give the shot there? Is there some protocol??? lol. Thanks!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We always just did. No reason to leave the table. Just get yourself organized so you don't risk dropping the bottle and breaking it, since you're doing a different routine.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Like Nancy, we also just did it. I went into the bathroom to do it a few times, but it just seems so germy in there.

4. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

Just prepare a shot just like you would at home. Managing diabetes is going to be a part of your son's life from now on so there's no use trying to disguise it. If your son feels uncomfortable having a shot out in public though then by all means take his cue and go somewhere more private. I think if you don't make a big deal over it then he likely won't either.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

At the table is just fine. If anyone stares, look over and ask "Hey, you want a hit too?"

6. susan

susan Approved members

We never left the table either..Never really even thought about it..I've read on here about people getting looks for testing or giving a shot at the table, but it's keeping my son alive so they can look the other way if they have a problem with it..

7. BozziesMom

LOL! I like that one. Thanks all! I thought it made sense just to make it "no big deal" and part of the meal like at home. But wasn't sure if that was bad form. And yes, the bathroom seems a bit germy.

8. susan

susan Approved members

I would love to get the opportunity to say that

9. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I 2nd this. :D Try not to make life in different outside of the house than inside the house. Try to keep it normal and for them it will stay normal. Bathrooms.. yuk..

10. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

That is the greatest I'll have to try that one out sometime.
    AT first I was really secertive and wouldn't do it in public it took a long time to build confidence up.I'd say just do it at the table. No need to go into the stinky germ filled bathroom.

11. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

We would do it at the table when we were on MDI. Sometimes if people would stare at Britt she would just do it in the car after we left.

12. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

We always have done it at the table. At diagnosis I thought we'd probably take him outside or to the bathroom, but it's really not a big deal. We dine out quite often (not as much since dx), and I think it would be too much trouble to take my DS somewhere else. Sometimes people will stare, but most people don't even notice. If people do stare I really try not to let it bother me b/c if I probably would have too. We just try to do it as quickly and discreetly as possible and move on with the meal. Hope you guys have a great meal! :)

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We usually did it in the bathroom, but that's because Jack tended to kick up a fuss about his shot. If he would have been cooperative, I definitely would have just done it at the table.

14. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

When we were doing shots, we just stayed at the table. My MIL was MORTIFIED. She kept asking if I wanted to take her to the bathroom, did I want to take her to the car. I finally just looked her in the eye and said NO. I told her that this was a part of our regular life, and we were not going to make a big deal out of it and try to hide it.
    Good luck with your first night out!

15. zell828

zell828 Approved members

For the first couple months I would take SD to the bathroom and we did it in private. Then I realized "who cares". It doesn't bother SD and that is what matters. If it bothered her, we would still be doing it in private. Now we just do it right at the table/booth and she doesn't care.

16. BozziesMom

A couple of you have said to do it based on the comfort level of the child - makes total sense. I'm sure he doesn't care what anyone else is thinking at this stage - maybe when he's older he'll want to be more discreet. Until then, we'll just pretend we're at the table at home. :) Wondering if he'll kick up any fuss at seeing the syringe though. At home, I slip into the kitchen while he's eating - don't draw it where he can see it. Then quickly give him the shot. Guess we'll see how it all goes!

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

We've always done it at the table. I hate public bathrooms so I knew there was no way I would inject him in there! :eek:

Priceless, Nick! :D

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I also wanted to say KUDOS for stepping out into the real world so quickly! I don't think we went near a restaurant for a good 3 months or so after Cameron was dx'd!

19. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

I cannot wait to use that response. Thanks for sharing!

20. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

We always give Aidan his shots right there at the table. We have gotten a few stares and a few pity looks, but other than that no big deal. You are doing something to keep your child healthy and you should not ever have to be scared to do so. I was a server at a restaurant for 6 years. Someone giving a kid a shot would be one of the milder things that I have seen. I feel like if a Mommy can whip out her Mommy parts in a restaurant and feed her child without feeling weird I most definately can give mine a shot!! LOL!!