- advertisement -

Dr Ponder on Twitter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MOM to KELLSE, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Dr Ponder is a ped endo that also has type 1 for over 40 years and wears a pump and cgms and he has ran the TX Lions camp for over 20 years. I think he is a awsome Dr and he twitts from camp and is now going to twitt from his practice in corpus Tx. He told us at a dinner with him when we picked our daughter up that it is very important for our kids to be tested for vitamin D. he also has twittered about it. He says that 70% of the population is defecient in it. I am but did not realize what all vitamin D has been linked too! I will be getting my DD tested! I wanted to leave his twittter page so if you wanted to follow it you could.
    www.twitter.com/dr_steve_ponder
    Thanks for reading and I hope this info is helpful!

2. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Cool! Thanks!~

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks for posting. Saw on his Twitter he is planning to create a retreat for young adults with T1D - I wrote and asked him to keep me posted. There's a need for that.

4. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

Everyone who's worried about the siblings of their D kid getting t1 need to get on the Vit D bandwagon. And, there are a rash of new onsets between 35 - 45 and sufficient Vit D levels will help us parents, too.

5. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Absolutely on the vitamin D bandwagon here! Jayden's level is pretty low...they want her at 32 or higher, she's at 16.5. She's on 50000iU once a week, and they'll test her levels in a couple of months to see where she is. None of the rest of us are deficient, but obviously she is.

6. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I'm glad you reminded me of his twitter. He had just started tweeting before session 1, and now he is a Twitting FOOL! He's got to be as bad as most teenagers! I absolutely LOVED him, and was so glad that being D himself, he was so in tune with what are realistic goals for our children. I'm not saying that our endo isn't supportive, but he is so involved in pediatric endocrinology, that it was refreshing. This was the first year Brandon was old enough for camp, and I just hope that Dr. Ponder is there the whole time Brandon is eligible for camp!

I have been meaning to pick up some Vitamin D, but keep forgetting. My mom is severely Vit D deficient. However, I think that he said that the D population is 70% deficient, and 30% of the general population is deficient.

7. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Twicker 1,
    I just got an email from him to look up the journal of Ped from January 09 it did state that 70% of D kids and he also said that just recently an article came out that all kids across the board are 70% so good info to know for all our kiddo's. I'm having hard time getting my DD tested a CDE thought I was crazy and will have to ask the Dr when he gets back from vacation because normally do not screen for this:eek: I think they need to get with the program!
    I really really liked him and I am hoping that our insurance will one day start covering his house call program so that we can switch!