- advertisement -

Dr. from Georgetown claims CURE in 2-5 years

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by BrokenPancreas, May 26, 2011.

1. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I HOPE it happens, We all do. Cures for so many illnesses have been found. Why not T1? It takes a lot of money for research but as long as there are those who are working towards a cure, one will be found. It's only a matter of time. Perhaps 5 years might be a little optimistic but we all need optimists in this world, not pessimists.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you didn't want rain, you probably shouldn't have posted this here, sorry. :cwds:

This is an open forum and you are going to get a lot of different responses to this thread. Don't take them personally and just take them for what they are: Other people's opinions.

I have two issues with the article. The first is that no one knows when a cure will be discovered and to make bold statements like that, to me, is irresponsible, cruel and most likely very innacurate. Ask anyone who has been managing diabetes for more than 20 years and they will tell you that a cure has been "right around the corner" for the past 30 years. Just developing and conducting clinical trials, and then getting through the rigorous FDA approval process could take decades.

Secondly, the article doesn't address the other problem with a diabetes "cure". Not only do you need to get the body to produce insulin, you also need to prevent the immune system from killing off those insulin producing cells.

All that said, I am a big proponent of stem cells as having a really good chance at curing diabetes.

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I totally agree!!! Did you watch the video??

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Yes, at first my heart skipped a beat and then I thought the same thing. Even if insulin production was reestablished, wouldn't the autoimmune attack begin again, as well? Wish someone had answers.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

I couldn't agree more!

This is my understanding as well.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I personally don't know what he's thinking about the autoimmune process, but I found his credentials online. I'm inclined to think (with his background) that he has addressed the issue;)

Stephen Clement
    Title
    Associate Professor
    Associate Professor, Department of Medicine Interim Chief, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism
    Department
    ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISM
    General profile Publications General profile
    Phone202-687-2818

Location232 Building D
    BioStephen Clement is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine, Interim Chief of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, and Director of the Georgetown Diabetes Center. His specialties include endocrinology, diabetes mellitus and nutritional disorders. He was named to the Washingtonian Magazine's Top Docs list in the field of Endocrinology and Metabolism (July 2005).
    EducationCertification (1989) , Endocrinology and Metabolism
    Fellowship (1988) Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School,
    Certification (1987) , Internal Medicine
    Residency (1986) Tulane Affiliated Hospital (VA Medical Center),
    Internship (1984) , Tulane Affiliated Hospital (VA Medical Center)
    MD (1983) University of South Alabama, College of Medicine

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

Five years ago, when we were in the carb counting class for Nathan, there was a mom and her teenage daughter attending as well. The girl had had diabetes for five years and had been using NPH the entire time. When asked why she hadn't gone with Intensive Therapy sooner the mom said it was because they were told at diagnosis that, "A cure is five years away." They didn't want to change when a cure was so close....

I wish I could believe in a cure for my son, but honestly I try not to even think about it. I think about that mom who stayed with the status-quo because it didn't seem worth it to change when a cure was around the corner. I wonder how many people with diabetes are settling for *sub-par care because they don't want to learn something new when a cure is waiting so near?

*I am not implying that NPH is sub-par. I know there are people who work magic with it. To this mom though, counting carbs was an improvement.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven and I watched this on the news the other day;) Honestly, I dont think its any more improper or cruel for them to make these claims than it is for the really big research organization to say that THEY are the ones that will cure type 1 diabetes! Can I hear you say Hallelujah! But of course they take in millions of $ of hard earned walk money every year and get millions more from the government while other researchers and organizations have to beg and get a pitance for research:rolleyes: I think there are many answers that will be found in stem cells both adult and embryonic

10. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

Clement was my endo for many, many years (insurance changed and I was forced to switch; a sad day) and he is the real deal. He's been active in research for a long time and has close affiliations with NIH and other efforts at Georgetown.
    For what it's worth, he also has a striking resemblance to Bill Nye the Science Guy. Go figure.
    I honestly don't follow research closely because it's not important to me, but I have had short conversations with him on several occasions about the promise of his work and his enthusiasm to push forward. I take him at his word; I know he's totally dedicated to the effort and, needles to say, very, very smart.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

There's been a cure in 5-10 years for a heck of a lot of years. Every time there is something new, they discover there's a reason it won't work. I personally believe that diabetes will be cured eventually - but to give an estimated time is verging on cruel. I hope this guy has the answer.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

My sentiments exactly. I truly, truly hope this doctor proves me wrong! ;)

13. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Heard it a million times before. Wake me up when the cure is available TO MY SON. Not in trials, not predicted, not working on other species, not only available in Zimbabe. SHOW ME THE MONEY.

14. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I can quote you right? will only change SON for DAUGHTER. :(

15. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

I can only hope. I can only pray. We have started $saving for.... #1 the cure #2 To help DS once he's an adult to pay for DM1 expenses. I'd give my life for #1 to come first!

16. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

17. Noel

Noel Approved members

The same goes for me.....

18. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Well, it's hard to get too excited, but I certainly do hope they are successful!

19. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wish. They told us 11 years ago there would be a cure in 10. Times up!

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I may be wrong, but it reads to me like clinical trials may begin on humans in 2-5 years. Not that we'll have a cure in 2-5 years. They haven't even started testing in animals yet. The average clinical trial for a cancer drug is 8 years. Then you have submission to the FDA on top of that....

So this sounds like something to be looking for 15 or so years down the road.