- advertisement -

Doubt about CGM without pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by prlopes, Oct 7, 2010.

1. prlopes

prlopes New Member

Hi there!!

I'm a parent of a 2 year old girl dx type 1 one month ago.

I understood from all I read that CGMs are usualy used after insuline pump, but does it make any sense to use it alone?

She doesn't sign hypo so we're frightned and kindergarten too.
    CGM could help a lot even if we're not ready yet to use a insuline pump.

The other question is: in my country, Portugal, there are very few experiences with CGM even among the best endo. Do you know if can I import it from abroad with a portuguese subscription (does dexcom sells it outside US?)

Thanks for all the help
    Pedro

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I don't know if Dexcom sells in Portugal, but I can say that a CGM can help even if you do not use an insulin pump.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

A friend of ours down the street from us has a 2 year old on a Dexcom and does not use the pump. They are loving it and it's going great. Before they had no idea which direction her blood sugar was going -- now they do, plus they are able to get a good night's sleep most of the time.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

CGMS can definitely be used without an insulin pump. Doesn't matter if you are doing MDI or pumping, a cgms is very helpful. I do not where any other cgms is available. I believe Navigator is available outside the US, I assume the others are too, dexcom and minimed.

5. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

We just started two weeks ago yesterday with a Dexcom. My son is nine and is hypo aware during the day. However, he has very variable nights and sleeps through his lows, so the Dexcom has already been wonderful! I definitely think a CGM would help provide great peace of mind and prevent some lows with a little one. We watched the tutorial videos sent by Dexcom & got started without any instruction from our endo. If you have problems or questions, this site is great! I hope you can get one!

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Numerous studies show that CGMs can be useful to people on shots. I do not use an insulin pump and I do use a CGMS.

The Dexcom website indicates that it has distributors in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Chech Republic, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Israel, the Netherlands, Austria, Slovakia, Finland, and Sweden. Whether you can buy it in any of these countries with a prescription from Portugal, I do not know.

I'm not sure where the Abbott Navigator is for sale. I have been reading the blog of a person who went and bought one in Israel and it seems to be for sale in the United Kingdom. It is not available in the United States at the moment.

From the medtronic website, it seems that the Guardian is available in Portugal but I think you would have to call the Medtronic office there to be sure.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

The Navigator is for sale in the UK. If you ring Abbott UK they might send one out They are very reliable, the sensors don't need refrigerating and they don't seem to hurt as much to insert. It would give everyone peace of mind to use on a little one who wasn't aware of going low. Would it be too large to fit on your toddler?

8. KHM

KHM Approved members

I have longed for a CGM since we were diagnosed. If I had to choose between CGM and a pump, I want the CGM. People say that an insulin pump is a "life-changer" but after one week, this CGM has definitely changed my life of worry to one of decisions with full understanding of the situation at hand.

Unfortunately, in the US it seems more common for health insurance companies to cover primarily pumps and to mostly cover CGM when its part of a pump-system. I think that's beginning to change.

If you would like, I would happily come to Portugal to let you try ours :) spent much of my youth in Madrid and always wished my parents would take us to Portugal, but no.

9. KHM

KHM Approved members

This raises an interesting possibility, I think. If a Spanish or French prescription and purchase could be arranged I don't see any reason that the prescribing physician need be further involved in its use. Its not treatment. That might be worth checking.

10. prlopes

prlopes New Member

Thank you all for all the help and all the comments.
    I'll investigate further the buying abroad topic. It's frustating in this global world, with global deseases the inexistence of global treatments.

My endo and the better portuguese diabetics association simply don't have exeperience with CGM, can you believe it? This forum is clearly FANTASTIC!!

Thank you all

11. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

cgm

We started with a CGM. We feel it helps us better understand what is going on. We didn't have a pump first. Once you know what is going on -- how BGs are falling, rising, what is going on at night, then you can begin to understand how the insullin is working and when to give it, etc. I certain recommend doing things this way, but we were told that it is very unusual for parents to do it this way. We'd do it over again in a heart beat!

12. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

We are on MDI and just ordered a CGM. DD has no intentions of pumping right now, but is ok with the CGM. We all look forward to the CGM!