- advertisement -

Double Lantus dose, today - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Sep 3, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

Each parent gave DD her Lantus dose this morning, meaning she got a double dose. I thought that she would struggle with lows all day from it; so since twice herantus dose equals a couple units more than her Total Daily Dose, I thought she could eat meals today with little to no fast acting.. But she has needed the full amount of fast acting with every meal.

Should I question the validity of the Lantus, or can someone tell me what to expect? I plan to check a lot through the night, but so far we have not seen any effect at all from the double dose. :confused:

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I would test, test, test a lot and have rapid acting carbs on hand...

I hope you manage to get some sleep.. :cwds:

3. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Thanks! That's the plan...and I'll try!!

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's very odd. How sure are you that she got double the normal dose?

The only way I could see this happening is if she were still honeymooning, or if the Lantus were off..

Anyhow, night will be the time of maximum potential peril. I'd aim to keep her on the high side of her range all night.

Good luck.. :cwds:

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I would expect a need for more uncovered snacks as well as a risk of lows inbetween meals and overnight... even at double her normal dose Lantus will NOT replace her need for mealtime insulin unless her meals were fairly low-carb.

6. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

We actually had a similar experience a few months ago with our son. I don't remember exactly how much extra Lantus he got, but it was quite a bit more than he was supposed to. He dosed it himself. He was getting his Lantus (before pumping) at bedtime. He ran out in one pen & got a new one to get the rest of his Lantus and instead of dosing what he needed, he ended up dosing the full amount again. I think it ended up being almost double, but not quite. I expected a lot of lows over night and through the next day. I called our CDE and she told me to test often, give an uncovered snack before sending him to bed, and the next day to lower his I:C by half. Well, he ended up running high all night and part of the next day until I finally just went back to dosing normally for meals. We kept asking him if he was SURE he got too much Lantus because it just didn't make sense. He was adamant that he did.

7. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

How did it go, anna-bananna?