advertisement

Double Kidney and Links to MODY

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Monogenic Diabetes' started by ReneeWittman, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

Does anyone out there have a child with diabetes and a genetic family history of a double kidney? I have been googling both topics and scientific articles do come up from the combination of MODY and Double Kidney. My son was just recently diagnosed, has some elevated kidney levels, and is awaiting confirmation as to the type of diabetes he has. However, I have a double kidney and so does my aunt. Does anyone out there have a similar situation? Is there a link?:)

2. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Hi, and welcome!:) Can you explain what you mean by "double kidney"? People normally have two kidneys, but I'm thinking you must mean something different?:confused:

My son has MODY 2, but no issues (as far as we know) with his kidneys. From what I understand, MODY 5 often involves renal issues.

Christine

3. ReneeWittman

Link Between Double Kidney and MODY

Sorry. I will clarify. I have a double kidney, also called a duplex kidney. It is kind of shaped like a butterfly. My maternal aunt also has one. When I was pregnant with my first child, I went thru some testing to make sure I didn't have abnormalities in my reproductive organs. When the kidneys develop in a fetus, the reproductive organs also develop and an abnormality in one may indicate an abnormality in a female's reproductive organs.

My son was never tested to see if he has a double kidney (detected by ultrasonic testing) but when I was researching MODY, some scientific articles linking double kidneys (duplex kidneys and abnormalitities in reproductive organs, especially uterine abnormalities) to MODY came up. They are difficult for me to understand because they are basically about specific genetics.

Does anyone who has a child with MODY have these kidney abnormalities? The doctor doesn't really know if my son has MODY or Type II but they are calling it Type II for now. I think my son has so many of the characteristics of MODY, but I did not think to mention this duplex kidney history in my family to his endocrynologist during our initial visit. It is very rare, and most of the time, it goes undetected, unless you present problems in having children or kidney function.

4. ReneeWittman

A double kidney is also known as a duplex kidney. It is shaped kind of like a butterfly. It seems to have a link of some kind to MODY according to some scientific articles about MODY genetics, but those are hard to read for this mom.

5. ChristineJ

Ahh, that makes sense! I would recommend that you search for information about MODY 5. That particular MODY is associated with kidney and reproductive organ abnormalities. Best of luck sorting this out!:)

Christine

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

How did you get your kids tested for MODY? I inquired about it, but since my daughter had 2 antibodies at diagnosis, I was told she was probably typical Type 1. I and at least once cousin have double kidneys.

7. ReneeWittman

Thanks to all of you for the good information.

8. ChristineJ

My son's endocrinology team ordered MODY testing, and luckily his insurance was willing to pay for it. (Many insurance companies won't.) Some people get their initial MODY testing directly through the Kovler Diabetes Center at the University of Chicago, where testing is free as part of their MODY research. Their website is www.monogenicdiabetes.org :)

Christine