- advertisement -

Double ear infection and 400s. Temp basal?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Oct 30, 2012.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Took my 5 year old son to doctor today with ear pain - and he has a double ear infection. One side even burst and was leaking out of his ear! YUCK! No temperature, but blood sugars seem to be in 400s. I have changed site, given more insulin - sugars still stay elevated.

Think about going to a temp basal for a while. On antibiotics and steroid ear drops.

Would you temp basal?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I would absolutely do a temp basal. If that doesn't help bring the #'s down, you might want to do a correction via syringe, but with such a little one I'd make that a last resort.

Poor little guy -- I hope he's feeling better soon!!! :cwds:

3. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My three year old had an ear infection last week. Antibiotics did a number on her bsg. I ran a temp basal and it seemed to get a handle on the high as it started rising

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have been battling an illness this week and the only thing that has helped with numbers has been a plus 40 or plus 50 basal and a lot of corrections (about every 3 hours). Giving carbs and covering them and adding about 20 percent to bolus too (per endo).

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

When my DD has had a fever, I have had to do as high as a 200% temp basal to keep her in range.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. That's the sort of situation that temp basals were made for! :)